Really nice frags

oceanjumper

I got a few really nice frags in today. Well, at least I think so.
My "problem" is, they are glued to stone pegs (you can see the pegs on the pic's). My tank is still pretty new and I don't have a lot of hiding places for the pegs. Also, I don't think I like have those pegs open, plain visible. Some of them I can just stick in the substrate. Some corals, however, need to be placed higher up.
Do you have tips? Did you cut them from the pegs and glued them to LR for example? What glue did you use?
Thanks guys!

saltyrich

Nice frags!!! What are those in the first pic? To answer your question, I took mine off those plugs because they just did not look good and I couldn't hide them either. I removed them and re-glued them with super glue gel. I wish folks would use small lr rubble instead of those ugly plugs. Looks like you got some dandys though!

eng50

Marc,
Those look like GARF plugs! the gorgonian you can cut off at the base and glue in a hole in your rock. As for the others, I would break the plug to the size best useable for you, without damaging the corals, I still have some of mine on plugs as I am still making small adjustments as to where they like to be, and that is something you may want to take into account before gluing them down. I used their gel super glue as to assure I didn't get the wrong stuff at the hardware store. Good luck with them!! HTH
Bill

oceanjumper

The ones in the first pic came as "gorgonias", the ones in the second as "red cpi" and "true red stylophora".
I also got blue mushrooms, "palypthoa combo", "neon green bushyensis" (can't really read the name well...) and "blue tip cerealis". The pictures of the last three didn't do justice to their colors so I did not post it. They are all aqua cultured, were nicely packed, and came all for $100.
When you say 'super glue', do you mean the regular super glue (to glueu whatever kind of stuff)? Hard to believe you can use it. I must be mistaken here, right?

oceanjumper

Bill, indeed they are! You got me on their way of thinking. I also became an advocate to leave reefs alone, and only (well, preferably) get aqua cultured and captive bred animals.
Mmm... can I get that glue somewhere else as well, you think?

saltyrich

any super glue gel works fine. The only difference is GARF glue is WAY more expensive. I use the $1.49 tube from Walmart. Never had a problem.

oceanjumper

Saltyrich~
How does that work than? You take a rock out of the water, take the coral out of the water. Glue them and let them dry in the air for a few minutes? This sounds very unusual to my conventional way of thinking....

saltyrich

It takes less time than that. In fact, I've done it underwater, but it takes a little more glue. It works better if you take your rock, dab it dry where you're going to glue the frag with a paper towel. Then just glue it and hold it for 30 seconds to a minute. It won't hurt anything. Then throw it right back into the tank.

saltyrich

By the way, I'm from North Carolina also. I notice you live in Durham. If you are a Blue Devils fan, I am not allowed to help you any more for my blood runs Carolina blue!!!

tigershark

Is there any way you can try to take another picture of the ones that didnt come out good? I was thinking of ordering some mushrooms and the neon green thing sounds cool too.

oceanjumper

Here is pic of all of them. The far right one has some blue in it, the second one right is fluorescent yellowisch green.....
The blue mushies haven't shown their full color yet.
Are there more glue experiences on the board tonight? I would like to see saltyrich being backed up....

jarre

They look good. I just got my GARF order in yesterday and they are Great looking frags. Almost all of my system is GARF frags and I've had very good success with them. The plugs are a pain depending on the LR in your system. I'd just follow Salty suggestion and go from there. I've done the same thing as him!! :)

beth

Administrator
Staff member
When you are supergluing, turn the frag/coral upside down so that the coral remains in the water, and then place some glue on the bottom of the frag where the substrate is. As soon as it is on, get it in your tank to the location you want to place it. You only have a few seconds before the glue solidifies in salt water, so pick out your location beforehand.
Has anyone used Garf glue? I was wondering if it is any different that reg superglue. I've only found glue in very small tubes locally, which does not go very far. Supposedly the garf glue is "gel" which, presumably is easier to work with than runny reg superglue.

jarre

I've used GARF glue. It solidifies very rapidly! I haven't had experience with any other types, so I wouldn't be a good source for a comparison.