Recarpeting the house - HELP!!

rich1515

Okay, here's a pickle. The wife is wanting to recarpet the whole house. I have a 75g fresh in the living room which is no big deal to break and move. However, I have a 110g FO (Lion, Naso, Purple tang, etc.)
What would be the best method for having them do this. Do I have to break the tank down or is there a way to do this without having to break it down?
Probably a stupid question but thought I would ask.

dedwards

i say breakdown. Going to be next to impossible to move a tank that big without a breakdown or a fork-truck

larrynews

when we redo ours we are going to cut the carpet around the stand and border it off with something nice ie: tile or something and then put the new stuff down,...although we my do wood so that would probaly make it look nicer...not sure...

nflnutswif

I just replaced carpet w/ tile. I bought three rubbermaid tubs removed some water into a tub placed all the rock in there put some more water into the other tub and placed the fish in there. made some fresh S/ water and added the plants anenomes' in there. when the tank was less than 1/4 empty, we carefully handtrucked it a few feet, tiled and replaced it!
It wasn't that bad. No one was injured. Except our backs!
Good Luck

wwfstyle

We are in the same process with the carpet thing. We are looking at getting this done next week. A few of my buddies and I thought that if we can empty like 1/2 of the water from my 75 into a new clean plastic garbage bin and place those small disk to help move furnature under the stand and move the tank to a hard wooded area in the house. Like my dining room which is about 15 feet from where my tank stands now. On the box it says that those disks can hold up to 3,200 lbs. I just hope that the stand holds together. We also thought about placeing 2 tow straps to help glid the tank. Hope this gives you some ideas. When are you planning on doing your carpet? Maybe if I get mine done before you start yours I can tell ya how it goes.

larrynews

hey becareful with those discs that you put under things they tend to scrape on the floor move than slid...and not real smooth it the thing has weight to it...good luck both of ya

nw2sltfsh

My hubby and I wanted to do the same thing for our game room with a 110 gallon tank - we ended up doing the new carpet tiles instead so we could cut around it and then jsut put the tiles in later if we chose to move the tank
Just a thought

wwfstyle

I brought that same idea to my wife and she refused to do it. She thinks that once it is set thats it, you cant patch it later. What can I say you cant teach an old dog new tricks. Well just found out that we are going to be moving our tank (75 w/ 120 lbs of LR) into the dining room so that the new carpet can be placed in on Monday. I'll let you all know how it goes and how much man power you'll need LOL. Wish me luck with those sliders and a few good friends.

unleashed

when I first baught my 125 gal tank we lived ina VERY SMALL home the tank is 6 ft long took up alot of space we had to much large furniture to utilize one wall with this tank so to make it fit and usable space he built an 8 foot pedistool rased the tank up 6 inches covered it with tiling then placed the tank upon it .I was able to place my sofa in front of the tank wich made a lovely view.changing carpet was never an issue again we always had the place for the tank.I wish i had been able to save the pics of this .

wwfstyle

I'm getting kinda scared right now cause the carpet guys will be here Monday at 8:30am and my tank is not moved yet (75 w/ 120 lbs of LR). I did have some friends that where coming over tonight but we are having trouble with an ice storm right now. I wonder if that is a sign lol. Well keep you up to date when completed.

unleashed

ah don't be skeered its realy not that hard to if you have enoug buckets if you have a big cooler that you can place all of your fish into with maybe a few LR you can keep the water flow with a back filter or at least an air pump.just make sure what ever you place them in has no chemical residue.if using a cooler you can clean it with bleach water to kill any germs but .you MUST use a rinse of chlorine remover same as you would to remove it from tap water you can use this at up to 5 times reg dose to ensure no chorine remains in the containers no soaps or cleansers should be used . breaking your tank down shouldnt be a big ordeal just save at least half the water from your tank minimum to ensure proper balance of you water.mix new water treat with water conditioner the night before you plan on resetting your tank.look at it this way instead of thinking of it as a chore think of it as a good spring cleaning for you fish home good luck with it all and keep peaceful thoughs .you'll be just fine

wwfstyle

I was thinking of useing a new clean 33gal garbage can to place thewater then move the hole tank then. We were thinking of leaveing ALL LR and live stock in tank then when placed in the dinning room for 2 days we would put all water back in and rehook the lights back up. Then after the carpet was laid then we would start the process all over again. But my wife and I just got back from dinner and she said that we could leave the tank there and just carpet around it. I have a hurt shoulder so I think we will go that route.