recommend sharks please

slick

I am setting up a 240 long 96x24x25. I am trying to decide on what type of tank to make this reef, fowlr, or a shark/sting ray tank. Could you guys give me some species of sharks that would work nicely in this size tank. I would like to stay away from sharks that don't look like sharks. Do you know what I mean? Thanks again.

barryi

im no shark expert but i know that the bamboos are fairly hardy and cheaper. you couldnt do a white tip reef shark or a black tip reef shark because the tank is too small.

ac

Unfortunatly I don't think you could keep a "shark looking shark" for its full life span in a tank that size. I'm kind of partial to sting rays. I have four and they're very interactive and full of personality. They would do fine in a tank that size. Just my 2 cents. Good luck:)

splash1914

IMO, leoaprds are the most realistic sharks out there for the home aquarium (mine never stop swimming).... beside of course the black tip (but this shark needs a huge home like novice150 has).... but the leopards get to about 6', they will need a new home after a few years....... leopards are really hard to get now....

grouperhead

IMO, it is hard to beat a coral cat, brown banded bamboo, whitespotted bamboo, or epaulette for looks. You could also house a pair of them in that tank for life. My .02. Bo

grouperhead

Nurses get very large. In the wild, they are pretty inactive. They lay on the sand under coral heads, and every know and then "root" for crabs, shrimp, and other things burried in the sand. I personally have never seen one for sale, but I think I've read they are quite expensive. HTH. Bo

ac

splash, beautiful tank. What size is it, and what kind of filtration and skimmer do you use?
Thanks,
Rich

slick

If I decide to set up a shark tank. What do I do with the sharks why they out grow the tank?

splash1914

AC: thanks! my tank is 200 gallons It is 8'Lx2'Wx20"H I told everyone here it was 180 gallons in the past becuase I thought it was only 18"H but I found the paperwork recently on it and it is 20H".... I have a wet/dry and skimmer.. I have some pics of my filtration I can post if you want...
Most pet store wont take back overgrown sharks.... they usally dont have tanks big enough for them... luckily for me, my buddy has an aquarium maintance business that takes them for me....

nycwaters

my partner has a nurse shark in his 500g tank
its about 15 inches long if you are interested
email me jr6100@aol.com
i'm located in nyc
hey splash1914 , is it true that leopards are the most constant swimmers , what i mean is more active then the banded shark?
:) jr

ac

Splash, I would love to see some pictures of your filtration. I'm setting up a 320 gallon for a port jackson and trying to decide what the filtration will look like. Thanks

splash1914

nycwaters: I have never seen my leopards stop swimming during the day... but, I have seem them on the bottom in the middle of the night..... I have owned many leopards and this has been the case for all of them.
AC: click on the link to see my filtration....
filtration

novice150

Like splash said, you could go with a leopard, but it will outgrow your tank. IMO a gray smoothhound would be a better choice, as they do not grow as big, are active, and still fit the stereotypical shark look. But, they will outgrow you tank as well. You will need to secure a future home for the shark before you buy it. This can be a real problem unless you have connections. I.E. Someone who knows people with $$ and huge tanks. Public aquariums are not interested in the sharks commonly available in the hobby. They just get too many offers, and most of the time, their tanks are stocked, meaning there is no room.
Its been my experience that nurse sharks are a dime a dozen. I find this unfortunate, because nobody will take an overgrown nurse (especially public aquariums) and you may end up having to kill the shark.
Unless you find a guaranteed future home for the sharks, I think you'd be happier with something like a bamboo. IMO, adult bamboo's look like nurse sharks anyway.:)

nycwaters

i thought the leopard was the most active one
how big does a smoothhoung grow?
does anyone have a picture available ?
SPALSH1914 : how long have you had them . do they grow fast?

splash1914

I bought mine back in june or july... they are slightly over a foot long... I feed them every other day.... smoothounds look like leopards but they have no "tiger" print on them and they are more silver... I beleive they get about 3'