recommend sharks please

harlequin

Things like this annoy me. If you cant keep a shark for life, DONT GET ONE. The Japs are slaying them in the tens of millions and here in the civilised West we are mindlessly throwing them in tanks because they look cool regardless of that most of them grow too big for pretty much everyones tanks. Regardless that they are not on the endangered species list sharks are an endangered species and should be protected not placed in tanks.

harlequin

several problems with that idea. Most aquariums as stated above will not take overgrown aquarist sharks for a variety of reasons. In addition alot of people do not live near an aquarium to give one to. Me for example even though we have an aquarium nearby, it is a research aquarium and they do not have giant tanks to put large sharks in + they only deal with locally caught animals and not tropical sharks on the rare occassions they have sharks.
Release is not an option unless your tank is completely local due to possible disease transfer.

superhero

ya i guess I wasent thinking about that, becuse for me that wouldnt be a problem becuse if they would take it I have the sheed aquarium in chicago nearby:D

gasguzzler

Ive tried. They wont take sharks. Let this be a lesson to those thinking someone else will inherit their problems. I was calling all the way into Chicago for someone to take my sharks when my tank sprung a leak!!!
DO NOT BUY SHARKS UNLESS YOU CAN HOUSE THEM THEIR ENTIRE LIVES!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:
I get so tired of typing that lately.

ci11337

Originally Posted by gasguzzler
DO NOT BUY SHARKS UNLESS YOU CAN HOUSE THEM THEIR ENTIRE LIVES!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:
I get so tired of typing that lately.

S

shark bait

I personaly belive only two sharks can be kept in the home tank well,
My Choices For "Okay/Possibly" Captive Shark Species:
Bamboo Sharks, family Hemiscylliidae. Family Hemiscyllidae, the Bamboo, Epaulette Sharks, often misnomered as "catsharks". Excellent as juveniles and egg cases. Including the very commonly imported banded bamboo shark, Hemiscyllium indicum, and Chiloscyllium punctatum.
Madagascar, North Indian Ocean, Southwestern Pacific. Two genera, eleven species. The smaller members of this family constitute the most suitable aquarium species of sharks, given attention to filtration, arrangement of decor (space around the circumference), careful feeding...
And for a larger system the Epaulette Shark. Indo-West Pacific. To a little over three feet in length.
Not for the home tank
Nurse Shark. Most often collected out of the tropical West Atlantic as the most commonly (mis)offered shark species for aquarium use, though found in the Eastern Atlantic and Eastern Pacific coasts. To nearly fourteen feet in length (not a misprint). Unbelievable to me that folks would offer or buy this animal in place it in tiny systems
Blacktip Reef Shark. Indo-West to Central Pacific, including the Red Sea. To six feet in length. Litters of 2 to 5 pups. Offered in the aquarium trade regrettably all too often. Requires very large systems.
These sharks are all to often keept and die in the home tank.
Difficulties in captive care of sharks are several including the need for large, highly filtered systems, poor adaptability in terms of behavior for most open-water species, and oft-neglected chemical and physical environmental insults; in particular keeping cold to cool water species in warm to tropical temperatures, treating sharks with metal solutions and organophosphate containing remedies, and not maintaining a high, stable salinity. A consistent light regimen and the absence of metal in the system are absolute requirements for successful shark keeping.
Do not jump into this just because you work in a fish store dose not give you a PhD in marine bio.
Scott Michael sharks and rays. look for his book on sharks as an "o.k." guide

S

shark bait

Originally Posted by Sharkboy97
i am building a tank thats 7' 3' 3' how long could i leave a leopard in that and how many gallons is that

not long the shark needs room to swim and over time will not be able to turn well to swim around.

taznut

Originally Posted by AC
Unfortunatly I don't think you could keep a "shark looking shark" for its full life span in a tank that size. I'm kind of partial to sting rays. I have four and they're very interactive and full of personality. They would do fine in a tank that size. Just my 2 cents. Good luck:)
you have 4 rays???
i just want a tank that will hold one... i love rays...