Recommendations for specific equiptment for a nano

A

altinure

Hello,
I'm interested in starting a 10 - 15g nano tank, and I was wondering exactly which equipment would be good for this (specific brands, etc).
Is it good to just purchase the 12G Nano Cube, or is it best to purchase everything individually? If so, exactly which pieces of equipment are best?
Thanks.

birdy

Welcome!!

Honestly I prefer to setup my own tanks, I don't really like the "ready to go" tanks.
Here would be my suggestions for a simple 10gallon nano.
Emporer 280 HOB filter
heater
Quad light 96w power compact fixture
1" sandbed
20lbs LR
RO/DI water
two SEIO 620 powerheads for water movement.

A

altinure

Thanks! Would I able to get by with 10lb live rock? I have to transport my aquarium twice a year, so the more live rock, the more complicated transporting it gets, haha.

birdy

10lbs is not going to be very much if you want corals. 20lbs really isn't even that much. I have a couple pieces of rock that are well over 20lbs apiece.
moving a 10gallon is not that hard even with 20lbs of rock. just get like three decent size pieces so you just have to move three rocks.

mj

Emperor 280 Bio-wheel
Emperor Mini-Pro Bio-wheel
20" Orbit PC/ Lunar lights
Basic Heater
1.25" Sandbed of Live Sand
15lbs of Live Rock
It's been up and running for 8+ months with no problems, except for the algae that comes with the lights. I have a True Perc, Firefish, Chocolate Chip Star, 2 Peppermint Shrimp, 8 Scarlet Crabs, 3 Emerald Crabs, and 10+ Asst Snails.
Corals will be next.....

A

altinure

yikes. these tank setups are most expensive than the nano cube, haha.

chipmaker

My suggestions would be a AC500 / 110 hob type filter, a Hydro powerhead if needed, and a 10 gal Perfecto tank from most any lfs for about $10. Filter can be made into a fuge as well as it provides more than sufficient adjustable flow for current in the tank, a 50 watt submersible heater and a coralife 96 watt quad light.........Don;t sell yourself short on LR.......I would not use less than 1.5 pounds per gal of tank capacity, and 2 pounds would be better per gal......Keep the sand bed to no more than 3/4 to 1" or so deep at the most.
I suggested Hydor powerheads as they are extremely reliable and small and fairly cheap to buy......NOt counting rock, you can get a light as described above for under $100, and the heater, tank and hob AC 110 filter for well under $60
The JBJ Nano cubes are not what you think they are, there are a lot of problems with them cracking..been there done that 2 times, and no more.........the lfs here stopped selling them a well due to cracking issues.........There is currently a class action law suit in regards to the cracking problems on the NANO cube setups......