Recommendations?!?!

msrain

OK! I just got my xmas present YAY! My bf just bought me a 75gallon tank. I am so excited about it. I told him that if I ever got a tank I would just get a 55 gallon. I was surprised. Ok, ok.... I will get to the point(sorry I'm just really pumped), I was wanting to know what you all would recommend me getting to set everything up. I've done a little research but am still confused. What kind of lighting, skimmers, filters, yada yada yada. I would appreciate ANY info you all could give me. I'm ready to get this baby up and running so I can get everything right so I can get some fishies!!!!:joy: So PLEASE help me. I want to do this right and I know some of you are really experienced on this. Thanks so much! -Misty
:help: :happy:
:needhelp:

joker_ca

i would go with a sump/refugium and get a titanium heater not a cheapo glass heater, for a protien skimmer try the Aqua C ramora or urchin
lights depend on what kind of setup, a fowlr just needs NO lights, a reef MH VHO or powercompacts

dacia

Are you planning on keeping fish only, or fish and corals? That would help us out with trying to suggest some lighting for you.
As far as filters go, you really should get a protein skimmer. Most people on a 75 gallon tank also have a sump and a fuge connected to the main tank, but you can also get HOB skimmers that work well. I would suggest an AquaC Remora Pro. You could also get a wet/dry filter, but be sure to take the bio balls out of it. I use a simple carbon filter on my tanks, too.
To set it up, I would first add your sandbed and water (and turn your heater on). After the sand settles (takes about a week or so), then drop in your live rock (at least 75 pounds of it, if you want a reef tank) and turn on your filter(s), skimmer, and lights. The live rock will start your tank's cycle and you do NOT need to use any living fish (it's like pumping toxic waste into your lungs...). Test the water daily for ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite. When they are finally at 0 (or close to it for 'trates), then add your cleaner crew (snails, conch, starfish, hermits, etc). Wait about a week or 2, then add fish SLOWLY. If you want corals, add them after your tank has been stable for at least a month after the cycle is done.
Good luck!!!:happyfish
PS...I need to find a man that will buy me a 75 gallon tank! Of course, just finding any nice man would be a blessing right now.

msrain

Yeah, I plan on having a fish only tank. Sorry, I'm so excited I'm sure I left out some info that would help you all out

dacia

For fish only tanks, you can use the lights that normally come on the hood when you buy a fish tank.
You also wouldn't need near that much live rock, but having some helps with biological filtration anyway...and lots of SW fish like to hide in caves and crevices within rock formations.
You could still use the live rock to cycle, but also add a cocktail shrimp from the grocery store too if you aren't getting a lot of rock. The decaying matter gives off ammonia which starts the cycle. Still no need to hurt poor little damsels.

msrain

Awesome. The more and more I look at the tank, the more I can't wait to get everything and get it started. I've been doing research on different fish too. I've picked some out that I've liked and searched them to see how 'compatible' they are to each other. I've already written about 10 pages worth of stuff. I'm still unsure how much live rock I actually want. And I'm wondering about live sand?? My bf bought me 60lbs of sand already but I was just curious about the live kind. Any tips or recommendations on that?

msrain

OK.... getting ready to go 'window shop' for some of this stuff. Any other recommendations??:)

nitram

why do you guys take out your bio balls and what do you put in its place? One otherr thing is how do you guys get enough air in the water because I noticed you guys do not use air pumps as well?

wax32

Still no need to hurt poor little damsels.
Does it do any long term damage to the damsels if you use them to cycle your tank? I'm used to freshwater tanks and the SW book I read said to use them.

dacia

Cycling your tank builds up ammonia levels and then nitrite levels before reducing them. Both are highly toxic to all fish, and they ingest it all through their gills...it's like swallowing toxic waste into your trachea and lungs. You might not feel bad now, but your life will be shortened and your immune system will be hurt. Think about someone who smokes 2 packs of Newports a day...and then gets lung disease, heart disease, and emphysema not too mention cancer...:nope:

dacia

Bio Balls in wet/drys can actually keep the nitrate levels in the tank high. That will cause lots of problems with all sorts of different kinds of algaes.

dacia

Live sand is really great for biological filtration. If you have "dead" sand and put some live rock over top of it, you can actually seed the sand so that it becomes live. It takes a few months to do so, but I have live sandbeds and have only ever bought a handful of live sand. If I had the money, I would go for live sand all the way, but seeding Southdown with live rock works as well.