Recommended Chemicals

Originally posted by DevilBoy
a good salt mix, will give you all the other elements you need

I couldnt agree more . . . as for CA and ALK, I use Seachem powdered products.

good, reliable salt . . . Instant Ocean. Even better (IMO) . . . Reef Crystals. Same salt, but -- has more calcium and trace elements in it.
Pick a good Calcium and Alkalinity additive and stick with that and a good salt. I completely don't even have the slightest idea why people make this hobby more complicated than it has to be with the use of tons of additives.
I use Seachem's Reef Builder for an Alkalinity buffer (which incedentally also maintains pH at 8.3 through long term use) and Reef Advantage Calcium (which also adds magnesium and strontium). I have used these products for over a year now and have been satisfied with their ease of use and effectiveness. Furthermore, they are very inexpensive and readily available.

plenumt

The only thing is I have found out that Instant Ocean Contains too much harmful bacteria and other chemicals.

nas19320

Originally posted by PlenumT
The only thing is I have found out that Instant Ocean Contains too much harmful bacteria and other chemicals.

Where did you hear this? I have always used IO and have never had any problems.:confused:

plenumt

Over the years my friends hav been using IO and they hav had alot of bacteria level problems with it. (and killing the fish). This is from many friends not just one. They switched to different salts and ha done fine. The only thing is they havent used IO with a reef set-up so im not sure if IO would produce any problems in a reef aquarium. I should hav said IMO.:)

Originally posted by PlenumT
Over the years my friends hav been using IO and they hav had alot of bacteria level problems with it. (and killing the fish). This is from many friends not just one. They switched to different salts and ha done fine. The only thing is they havent used IO with a reef set-up so im not sure if IO would produce any problems in a reef aquarium. I should hav said IMO.:)

How do you measure a bacteria problem?
IO was not the problem . . . I assure you of that. IO does not contain bacteria if stored properly. If it does it should not be used.
As far as chemicals go . . . well . . . what do you think IO is? It says on the bag "synthetic sea salt"
IO is the most widely used salt in this hobby . . . a significant majority of people not only use it, but adamently refuse to use anything else.