Recommended powerheads

scotty37

I have a 120 gallon 4ft by 2ft by 2ft, and was wondering how many powerheads you recommend.
Also, what is your opinion on what type of powerheads to buy? Not so much the highest price, but the best value?

saltn00b

what do you want to keep in said tank? at a minimum between your sump turnover and powerheads, should be 10X your tank volume. better at 15X, and some corals demand 20X-30X

trippkid

I run 2MJ1200's in a closed loop from my overflows, 2 MiniJet 606's in back corners for circulation, and a modified MJ1200 for 1800gph of flow, and my return pump from the sump. It all totals about 3500gph in the DT. I keep mostly SPS and LPS, some Zoo's and shrooms too. The Hydor Koralia pumps look pretty decent for lots of flow, kind of like Tunze stream pump. I'd say they all do the job, just find some that look good to you. Maxi Jet, Koralia,Seio super flow would be the best bets,IMO.
Matt

scotty37

Well I havent started into reef yet, just changing from a fowlr to another with the plans to start adding corals and such by the end of the year once I get into researching. I just want to have the tank ready with the right components before having to repurchase later.

trippkid

Not a problem, glad to help. Only make it as complicated as you're comfortable with. All bells and whistles aren't always neccessary. Good luck with the transformation.
Matt

m0nk

I'd recommend the Seio super flows, they make numerous speed models and they're very energy efficient and powerful. I've got 2 620's in my 55 but for you I'd recommend the 1100/1500/2600 models depending on how much flow you need.

scotty37

I may have just come across another problem
I was going to paint my back wall blue and just put the tank up beside it with the clear glass... but I guess if I do that, Im going to be able to see the powerhead and light cords. The tank was meant to be a 3 side viewable with the short end of the tank up against the wall, which is spray painted blue. Theres a big overflow box on the left side which is also blue (right in the middle of the left wall). Cant really take it outside to spraypaint now that its in the house.

m0nk

Originally Posted by scotty37
Can you have too much flow?
Well, the nice thing about the Seio's is that you can adjust them, so if they seem too powerful you can turn the flow down. I've actually done just that for the time being but when I start getting more LPS in the tank I might turn them back up.

trippkid

Can you tie up the cords,so that they fall behind the overflow tower. If not cover the tank with Saran wrap, and cover any thing else you don't want blue and spray it. I'd cover up all equipment too, even inside the stand if that is where your sump is.You could try a blue background, if you wanted. Flow really depends on what you plan on keeping, some animals need more than others.
Matt

scotty37

What about the idea of running an extension cord to the top of the canopy (which is at 7 foot) and plugging in everything from there? Im just afraid if I have DIY lighting, timers, and a few powerheads, theres going to alot on one bar up there.

trippkid

You could, just make sure there is no way for any of this to fall in the tank or get wet for that matter. Maybe use 2 cords and a couple of powerstrips, I have the same problem at the back of my tank, the coraline should have it all hidden in a couple more months though.
Matt

scotty37

I just keep thinking up more problems, they will be far from the water with no way in. my canopy is 17" tall.

trippkid

That's the best way to do it, think of problems that might arise, and take care of them before they do become problems. Things tend to go a little smoother this way. You could probably just wire up a GFCI outlet too, instead of the extension cord(s). That's all up to how you want to do things.

curlsoc

I have one of the Hydor Koralias and love it! You can adjust the direction of the flow which is really nice. Plus with the magnet system your placement becomes more versatile. I plan to add another as soon as my LFS gets another #3 in.

grubsnaek

i very strongly agree with Curlsoc. the Hydor Koralias are great there not stream shot power heads. very good. i have two #4 in my 125. both in back corners and my leather in the dead middle of a 6' long tank get plenty of flow. i could add SPS if i want but my lightin is only for LPS and softies.
Kydor Koralias gets my vote