RED ALERT. I have ich

cveach

Man this sucks. My 75gal reef with ZERO Nitrate,Nitrites, amonia. Established for 6years. For no apparent reason my fish have broken out with Cryptocarion, ICH. I have delt with ICH and plan on treating with removing my fish from the reef for 45 days placing them in 2 20gal longs for the period of time and treat them with copper. My fish are: 1 Yellow Tang show no Spots. 1 Hippo Regal Tang, spots on head and side. 1 Sailfin Tang Spots on left fin. and 1 Tomato Clown with one spot on left side and cleaner wrasse. Any ideas on new treatment would be apreciated although I do rule out Hypo salinty I do not like that form of treatment. There were NO spots this morning and now there are I will begin treatment tomrrow. TREY - what would you do. I feed Zoo Plankton soaked in Kent Zoe. Seaweed slects soaked in Zoe. Krill in zoe Formula 2 they feed freely on Macro Algae all health is PERFECT except for the spots that have appeared not even ITCHING.
[ May 11, 2001: Message edited by: cveach ]

cveach

After sleeping on it I decided to go alittle unorthodox and left the the fish in the reef. I am trying to increase there feeding and protein intake while I purchashed a Aqua UV sterilizer. The fish are in excellent health so I hope there imune system can fight it off with the help of the UV. ANY input from experiences with UV and ICH would we aprreciated.

dseiler

It may be a coincidence, but since I added my UV I have not had an outbreak of ICK. I had a couple of outbreaks before I put it on so it works for me!

jimi

Cveach why not hyposalinity? I thought you liked that method? Did you add anything new betwwen now and your last ich outbreak? Maybe you did not get them all from your last outbreak.

cveach

My Sailfin Tang does NOT like hyposalinty at all for some reason. Very bad reactions. Plus I find it hard on the fish when they go back to 1.025 which I keep my reef at. On the plus side the fish show no signs of the parasite in 24hrs never itched and I now have the UV. I currently have the cleaner wrasse I may add a cleaner shrimp as well if I notice a relapse I will treat in qt tanks for 45days. The salifin will have to be treated with copper.

pufferlover

My Sailfin which I have had since Dec 99 has had 3 Ick outbreaks and each time with copper has come back strong. I use seacure at a 0.15 content for 21 to 30 days depending on how the fish cleans up. The one time the poor thing was a mess and I gave it no hope but within days of treating it was its old self.

cveach

Happy to report no further sypmtoms of ICH. Everyone seems just fine so I will just keep a close eye.