Red Algae Explosion

firedave

I have had a red algae explosion in my tank. I was out of town for a week. When I got home I noticed that the tank had too much water added while I was away. The sump was practically to the top. I did a quick water change of about 25 percent and brought the water level down back to the correct levels. The red algae is growing at an amazing pace. I cleaned the crushed coral bed yesterday and today red algae covers half the bottom. What do I look for. I also noticed that the tank temperature was a little high. Any help would be appreciated.

david8

From what I have read it could be a number of things. Phosphates, overfeeding, lighting, etc. I have been experiencing the red algae here lately also. Does anyone know what type of snails or crabs eats this stuff?

karajay

I don't think anything eats red slime. Have you checked to make sure your powerheads are working? Lack of circulation is a MAJOR contributor. Also, excessive light times or old bulbs that may be out of spectrum can trigger an outbreak.
If you don't have corals that require lighting, I suggest you leave it in the dark for 3-4 days. That should help to kill it off. Also, siphon out as much as you can on a daily basis.

david8

I currently just have live rock and 3 fish. Will it bother them that the lights are off for that period of time?
Do you think queen conchs would eat the stuff?