red algae....help!!

cholland

Ok, I just got some new PC's to go over my tank. Now I have 260 watts over my 55 gal. I know that I should not run the new lights alot since it is an upgrade in wattage. I know that I should gradually increase the time. But I am getting red algae on spots on the glass and on some rocks.
Why is this happening?
My readings are
ph 8.2
temp 78-79
nitrite 0
ammonia 0
nitrate 12ppm
phosphate 0.1
I have 2 maxijet 900's and 1 rio 2100 for flow in the tank. I run carbon all the time. I just changed the filters less than 2 wks ago.
Any ideas?????
:help:

cholland

Yes, mostly. Before I got the new lights I had just plain old lighting that came with the tank. I had the same bulb for over a year. So I think the bulb was going bad and changing spectrum.
Now the new lights are more intense, more wattage. I usually turn the actinics on around 9:30am. Then turn on the others around lunch time 12pm. Then leave both on till I turn the white lights off at around 6-7pm, then leave the actinics on till about 9-10pm. Then off all night.
Is that too much? or too little?
Other than that, I am not sure what is causing the algae. It is the red powdery stuff that gets on rocks and glass. Not the red slime thank goodness.
Any ideas???

fishman77

wait so your saying that you turn the atinics on at 9:30 am then you turn both on at about noon and then turn the white light off at 6-7 and leave the atinics on till 9-10?
ive heard the atinics could make algea grow and maybe your leaving the blues on to long

cholland

I do leave them on alot. I was trying not to shock the fish by turning the white lights on so early. But what you're saying does make sense. I leave the blues on alot.
Do you think that is it or something else? Is the time that the whites are on good or can I increase?
thx