red algae - high phosphate

I

iluvfish

I have some dark red algae growing on my LR. It's not slimy to touch - is it cyano? Can you have this color algae and it be okay?
Also - will a phosphate remover kit work if you set it on top of the filter that is on top of the bioballs in a wet/dry? I'm still waiting for my phosphate kit that I ordered on this site, but know that they were "off the scale" on October 6 when my LFS tested.

reef fool

Originally posted by iluvfish
I have some dark red algae growing on my LR. It's not slimy to touch - is it cyano? Can you have this color algae and it be okay?

As kip stated, if it doesn't blow off or wipe off easy, it's probably a type of coralline. I have some on lower light sections of my reef.
Originally posted by iluvfish

Also - will a phosphate remover kit work if you set it on top of the filter that is on top of the bioballs in a wet/dry? I'm still waiting for my phosphate kit that I ordered on this site, but know that they were "off the scale" on October 6 when my LFS tested.

I believe that if you put it anywhere there is decent flow in your sump/filter, it will work. I do recommend going with an iron based product such as ROWAphos or PhosBan, since they do not leach back when exhausted. I used ROWAphos with great success in my 46 gallon bow reef and totally eliminated PO4 with no ill effects. I have never used PhosBan myself, but after reading about it, it is basically the same type of product and may be easier to find locally.
Good Luck,
Frank

jenni1979

If it is cyanobacteria, i got miracyn (not sure on the spelling), and it worked great. Some people on here advise not to use it because it is true that you should try to get rid of it other ways, but what I did is I used the miracyn and put another power head in my tank. I also sucked the algae off the rocks with a turkey baster as much as I could. I also got two mexican turbo snails. It got rid of it quick and has not came back in two months. Could be a combination of everything but it worked.

jonthefb

i agree amy, i htink that it is red coralline as well....i have this stuff growing all over my 65! and btw, thats a great piece of rock you have there! very nice!
good luck
jon

I

iluvfish

Thanks everyone! I noticed that my mexican turbo loves the stuff!! :) The lighting in my system is JBJ Formosa Deluxe -
4 x 65. - 2 whites and 2 actinics. I have it sitting right on the top of the tank, but did leave the plastic cover that fits over the lights to prevent damage to the bulbs. Is that considered low lighting?

I have the same exact lighting over a 75gl. It's right on top of the glass cover, I purchased the cover for $40 and I added two pieces of wood on the sides of 1by1 inch so it wont be too close... I think they considered it med to low lighting... But I think its fine, I keep a BTA, and other corals, over a year now with great succes. happy to say... Remember to change your lighting once a year.

sammystingray

I would consider 130 watts over a 55 or 75 low lighting. When my 75 had 440 watts, I considered it medium. When it had 160 watts, I considered it low. A standard 55 and a 75 require the same lighting pretty much since they are the same length and height.

I

iluvfish

Wouldn't a 4X65 be 260 watts? Or don't you count the actinics?

I

iluvfish

Hey bacardibombillo- I can't get your picture to open all the way. Check and see, maybe it's just me??

blk822

I used some stuff called RED SLIME remove. if you do get the slime and find this product , it really works well. But you have to watch out that the o2 level in your tank dosn't drop to low or you will wake up to a lot of dead fish.