Red Algae

christiiiii

I have a 29 gallon biocube, it's been set up for 2 months. It is growing red algae on the gravel. Could this be a problem?

rbaldino

It's cyano bacteria. Aside from being unsightly, it can choke out other organisms. Look into a red slime remover. A lot of people also recommend increasing flow through additional power heads, etc, but I've never really seen that help.

tjgreg

I also had red algae growing in my tank as well except it was on the sides of the glass, the fish store I use recommended an additional powerhead and aslo Margarite snalls and some small crabs,I guess she knows what she is talking about because within a few days it was cleared up.

poniegirl

With a 2 month old tank (brand new!!!) try not to use additives. Do increase water movement.
Scrape, syphon, net. If you gently "puff" that red slime it will come up and you can remove it. Get the algae out and cut back on the lighting and feeding.
It is a stage that your tank probably should go through, and only your attention and care can take it to the next stage. Patience and perseverance. Same old song, but it is what it is and the truth is; it is a mini eco-system. It will go through several stages.
Our enclosed marine systems don't have the beach or as much live coral/rock to filter themselves. We have to do it for them.
Welcome, Christiiiii !

row

I am having the same problem and was told it might be my phospahtes. I put some phospahte remover into my can filter and it seems to be receding. Christiiiiii, where abouts are you from in Michigan, I am near Port Huron.

ruaround

yup... Ponie is right... cyano is not caused by phosphate, but by lack of water flow, high nitrAtes and poor lightling (including direct sunlight)... vacuum out what you can, use RO or RO/Di water and perhaps get more flow..

row

I am having a problem in one corner of my tank that does get hit with sunlight in the morning for a few hours. The rest of my tank seems fine. I'll have to get a shade for that window. Thanks for the info.

J

jrthomas40

i have started to have that growing in my tank as well and i know it cant be because of lack of flow or lighting because i have a mag 7 return, and a koralia model 4 with 2x 250watt hqi and 2x95watt vhos....i have a bunch of snails and crabs...any other ideas how it could be taken care of my tank is almost 8 months

ruaround

its not lack of light... its quality of light... and is ther dead spots in your tank... how about the level of NitrAte...

J

jrthomas40

all my levels are perfect...and the lights are only 3 months old

weberian

Your sand bed, if it's deep enough, won't start removing nitrates until the tank is one year old. Look at the overall nutrient levels in your tank, the quality of your replacement water, the frequency of your water changes, your cleaning routine, and you may have to create more turbulent flow in the sump if you have one. Just some ideas, imo.

christiiiii

Thanks everyone for all the help. I didnt know about sunlight because the sunlight does hit my tank a little bit... and the water flow makes a lot of sense because it's all growing in the farthest part of the tank from the power head

spencer_00_us

Darn Cyano Bacteria. I recently (Friday) waged an all out war on my continuing problem. Here is what I did.
What I had:
20 gallon all-glass.
Tom products canister filter (Don't bye this item
, it sucks)
Hydor 100w (I think) heater
Energy Savers Unl. 24" Aqualight w/1-10,000K & 1-Actinic T-5 Bulbs
Aquarium Systems Micro-Jet (capable of circulating 117 gph)
What I got Friday:
Kent Marine Phosphate sponge
Supreme Skilter 250 to replace my piece of crap Tom Products canister filter and to provide protein skimming.
What I did on Friday:
Added chemiclean
Added Phosphate sponge
Removed as much cyano bacteria from the tank as possible.
Reduced the lighting from 12 hours to 10 hours per day
Some help on this is had. Just to get my facts strait: does cyano bacteria feed on phosphates or not?
My tank is about 7-8 months old.