red algae

tommy98

i hve had my 90 gallon tank set up for a year and i have a lot of red algae on the rocks and on the sand i have about 120 pounds of rock in some spots the algae is think can i get rid of this or is it normal

lion_crazz

What are your water levels (pH, kH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate, salinity, temp)?
What kind of water do you use?
What kind of additives do you use?
What kind of fish food do you feed the fish?
How often do you do water changes?
How much flow do you have in the tank (what do you use for a filter and powerheads)?

thud

Originally Posted by tommy98
i hve had my 90 gallon tank set up for a year and i have a lot of red algae on the rocks and on the sand i have about 120 pounds of rock in some spots the algae is think can i get rid of this or is it normal
Search the forum for "Chemi clean"
You'll find lots of informaiton on how to get rid of your red algae (cynobacteria) and lots of good results from chemiclean...

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by thud
Search the forum for "Chemi clean"
You'll find lots of informaiton on how to get rid of your red algae (cynobacteria) and lots of good results from chemiclean...
Though I like many of Boyd's products, why recommend a product though when we do not know if there is something in the tank causing an issue?
For example, if he were using tap water, it would be much better to eliminate the problem and switch to RO/DI than to institute a temporary fix.

tommy98

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
Though I like many of Boyd's products, why recommend a product though when we do not know if there is something in the tank causing an issue?
For example, if he were using tap water, it would be much better to eliminate the problem and switch to RO/DI than to institute a temporary fix.
yeah i use ro water should i take my rock out and rinse it off?

lion_crazz

No, although, I posted a bunch of questions above to you that could help us narrow where the problem is arising from.

tommy98

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
What are your water levels (pH, kH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate, salinity, temp)?
What kind of water do you use?
What kind of additives do you use?
What kind of fish food do you feed the fish?
How often do you do water changes?
How much flow do you have in the tank (what do you use for a filter and powerheads)?
temp is 78.7
ammonia is 0.0
pH is 7.8
salinity is 1.223
i cant get the nitrite to read at all
i use r/o water
no additives
i feed the fish frozen food
water change once a month
i have the pentair inline filters with a uv light , protien skimmer and fludized bed filter i have four power heads not sure if the water flow is in the right spot

lion_crazz

Sounds like there are some issues here. What is your nitrates? How about your alkalinity? Your pH is definitely a bit low, also.

lion_crazz

Well I would recommend picking up an alkalinity and a phosphate test kit then. That would be the next step.

gubber

I just used that "Chemiclean" and yes it does work. The red slime is gone. It turned brown and then I just cleaned it up. It worked very well. It runs about $14.99 but well worth it. It didn't hurt anything else in my tank.