red algae

dischirm

I would just get a couple Maxijet 1200's (they are relatively inexpensive) and add those to your tank.
I agree there is not enough flow in there at all!

dischirm

how big is that tank. I think you want 15 to 20x the Gallons.
(and no, its not enough, I have a 100 gallon with 4 maxijet 1200, a mag 3 and a rio 1500 in it)
You really want the water moving. Think of the tides, the ocean is always on the move, sometimes violently!

mr_x

more like 30-40 times turnover, depending on what corals you will end up with. meanwhile, the increased flow will not allow the cyano to get a foothold, but again, you'll need to change your water source, and increase nutrient export.

clownfish11

okay so i might have the same prblm...im gonna add another powerhead, but mines more purple than red..idk if its coraline algae its alot more vibrant that my other Coraline algae???? help??im not jacking im having somewhat of hte same prbly i tihnk cept i dont have as much as you....r u gonna add anymore live rock?

clownfish11

ya ive got 60lbs in my 55 okay i was told to go to the supermarket or grocery store and buy distilled or reverse osmosis water and do the rest of ur water changes with that nad it should help :)

all108

For my problem, I simply sucked it all out with a turkey baster, and now I stick to a strict lighting schedule. I turn the white and blue lights on for a full 5 hours, then keep just the blues on for another 8, then moonlight.
I haven't had an 'outbreak' since.