Red Algae????

wildman3170

I had all green algae but I changed my light bulb and put a 6500K lamp in and now it's all turned red. I have a 58 gal tank with a factory hood. I also have an actinic blue lamp but it's probably about 1 year old now. Any suggestions!!!! Seems like I get the Ick cured and then something else happens, this hasn't been a good reef tank experience. Also have a yellow tang and a blue damsel and a few crabs and snails. Lost 3 fish to ick, still learning!!!!! Lamp sets off of the water about 3 inches if that is important. Any help would be appreciated
Wolffman3170

wildman3170

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to control this red algae problem I am having. I think that the pencil urchin I have is eating part of it but he can't eat all of that stuff I don't think!!

twoods71

The first thing that comes to mind is red slime algae / cyanobacteria. I could be wrong though as there is not enough detail to say 100% what the algae is.
If it is red slime it can easily be siphoned out of the tank and there are also several good reef safe products on the market that will kill the stuff.
Some algae is a normal part of fish keeping but to keep it under control one needs to keep the nutrient level under control. Things like phosphates and nitrates should be keep in check in order to control algae.
Some things that can be done are water changes with only pure water(RO/DI), not tap. Use only pure water for top off also.
Keep your skimmer and/or filtration clean. Dont let detritus build up.
Dont over feed.
Physically removing the algae.
And most importantly, patience and persistence.

bluemarlin

Be very, very careful when using any chemicals to remove this algae! Please. I used a product called, "No-Cyno". It said that it would not hurt invertibrates or fish. It said nothing about corals. It was my fault because I used the product but it eliminated all of my mushroom corals and most of the red algae. :(
I suggest riding it out. Nitrates are feeing this algae and you need to find the source. What are your readings for Nitrates?
I agree that the red algae can be easily pulled off of the rocks but without stopping the cause of the problem it will just come back again. Good luck!

mrfish

I'm new to this but i also has a bad algae problem with green and red. I took the advise on this board and started using a water conditioner in the tap water I am using. Filtering it through a Nitragon filter to remove Nitrates, putting phosphate removers in the filter and regularly cleaning the gravel. The algea went away.