red algea

motameto

:eek: Ok I am freaking out now. I have the brightest red or burgundy coraline algea I have ever seen. If thats what it is. Can someone help me with this.
I have had my water tested for everything I can think of, and it all tested fine.:help:

rwhite

Any chance of a pic? Slime algae can be deceiving and appear to be coralline on rock. Is your stuff hard to the touch or will it peel away?

rwhite

A very good question. We're going thru a battle right now. Most advice on the board will tell you to reduce feedings, reduce lighting and add more circulation. There are chemicals out there that will rid your tank of the slime, but I wouldnt recommend them from my own experience, but others have had success with them. I wish I had better advice to give, but right now I feel like we're fighting a losing battle also. Trying to be patient. Try doing a search on red slime and you will get A LOT of threads to read. I believe most will tell you what I've already suggested, but I may have missed something while I was searching. Let me know if you find anything else, we're looking for ideas as well.

mary

I came across a site written by Steve Weiss about there being a product for removal of red slime algea and it did not interefere with the other life in the tank. I think I got it off of a search page from Aquadirect.com? I think I have spelled his name correctly, although it may have been Weist. Ever since useing phytoplex my algea has really become abundant. He says that phytoplex is a very good product as well as giving the reasons why.

mary

Algeal buildup in my tank however, is from high phosphates from our well water. I need an ro system but that is in the future due to cost. The phytoplex has worsened it considerably.