red algea

eva b.

I have a red algea that has appeared in my tank. I do regular water changes and the tank is not over crowded. What can I do to get rid of this? And why is this happening?

It is not algae, it is bacteria.
cyanobacteria, to be exact.
it exist almost everywhere in one form or another. and is said to be one of the most primative forms of marine life. However, it is a nuisance to the marine aquarium.
To get rid of it, you have to quit feeding it. It feeds off of light and nutrients in the water. Do more frequent water changes, make sure your skimmer is working well- thats a big one. and reduce the amount of food and light introduced into your system. if you have large patches, you can use tweezers or a siphon to remove bad spots during water changes.
Do not try to scrape it off, you will only spread it. If you do a search in the "reef" section, you will find more info about it.

eva b.

Did a water check. Nitrates out the wazoo! Looks like I need to do another water change. The man who owned the store we purchased our set up from told us we do not need a protein skimmer. I think he is very wrong. I think we do. Too many others have told us the importance of it. Thanks for your help.

tankstolove

Eva, there is a product called antired, made by Aqua Medic. Antired successfully eliminates red slime algae in sea water aquaria. Antired is safe for invertebrates, is not harmful to nitrifying bacteria, and promotes the growth of higher algae. Turn the protein skimmer and carbon filter off during the treatment. Use mechanical means to remove the dying algae. We use it to eliminate the red once it has shown it's face. I have seen it completely dissapear within 2 days with this safe fast action product. Good question

eva b.

Don't know. Have had the brown algae when the tank was new. Get a green going when I leave the lights on too long during the day.