Red Algee Issue

Ok I have a 35 hex with 2 KORALINE 150 powerheads and a CPR BACKPAK 2 skimmer. My water is good do a 5 gal. change with R.O. every week. I have a 175 M.H. that is on about 6 hours a day and a put a new bulb in it a week ago. What can I do to get rid of this it is driving me nuts. I have tried to scrub my L.R. and equiptment but it comes back in 3 or 4 days. PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME

oceansidefish

Usually its from overfeeding...Keep doing waterchanges every week and cut down on feeding. I have found that switching to a quality pellet for a week or so usually helps.

anonome

You say that you just replaced your MH lightbulb, this is probably the reason. If your bulb previously was old, then changed to a new one the output is much stronger. Cut back on the lighting, then gradually increase it, this should take care of the problem.

anonome

Is six hours the length of time it was on previously with the old bulbs? If so, I would cut back to 4, and then over the next 2-3 wks increase it by 1/2 hour every 3 days until you reach the 6 hour mark. Do your lights have actinics? You can run these much longer to make up the difference in time.