Red and Blue leg grabs

p fish

What are some of the common causes for lost of these crabs. Noothing is eating them, only have a coral beauty in the tank.

It is very common for them to fight among themselves and kill eachoter, especially if there is a shortage of shells in the tank. Another reason is due to osmotic shock which is a result of a fast acclimation process. Perhaps there may also be an unseen predator in the tank such as a mantis shrimp.

jawfishray

Greetings,
To check for a hidden murderer, make a simple "coke" bottle trap and place some bait in it. Hopefully your tank does not include other critters that you know of that could fit within the trap hole.
I had a small octopus, 2", that hitched a ride on my weekly live rock transfer...I lived/dove near some great "live rock"; squirts, grasses, algae, etc...I was cultivating a host of camie crabs, amoung other things, and these guys would strip most of the good stuff off. I would replace the stripped rocks for new ones as I collected water for my exchanges.
Anyhow, I started losing crabs, alot of crabs. I found several body parts around one cubby hole. I suspected a mantis shrimp, but I was wrong. A really cute octopus got into the trap one night. He could have easily escaped but I did a midnight run and caught him.
After I transfered him to his own tank I noticed he was not doing well, so I released him within a week. But he was cool.
If you had a die off, and your fish still lived, you most likely have a killer on your hands. I would suspect a slow moving killer though. If it were a mantis shrimp he would not stop with hermits, in fact I doubt he would have started with hermits. You most likely have a killer like a cone or other sand dweller.
Good luck.
Ray

fishman830

Originally posted by JawfishRay
Greetings,
I had a small octopus, 2", that hitched a ride on my weekly live rock transfer...I lived/dove near some great "live rock"; squirts, grasses, algae, etc...I was cultivating a host of camie crabs, amoung other things, and these guys would strip most of the good stuff off. I would replace the stripped rocks for new ones as I collected water for my exchanges.
Ray

what kind of octopus?! wasnt a blue ring was it?