Red Carnation Coral

y2says

I read that they are impossible to keep. Most don't ship well and if they do, they'll die in a matter of weeks. Since they need no light, hey need perfect water conditions and need to feed frequently to survive. I would leave them alone in the ocean.

jonthefb

i personally have never tried one, the closest i have ever come is a chili coral. From what i understand from other aquarists, they are near impossiblye to keep and from what i have seen in lfs's they almost always come in very poor condition or are on the decline from the start. it is unfortunate because these corals are simply gorgeous, but are at the same time very fragile. Isnt it always like that in nature though?
good luck
jon

shadow678

They are very difficult to keep, but if you have a very dimly-lit tank and excellent water quality, you may be ok. I would only suggest you try them if you have a pretty good amount of experience keeping corals. I aquired a rather large one and put it in a corner of my tank and stacked rock around it to make a cave. It didn't do very well at first, splitting itself into two med. sized branches, but once it settled in, the two branches are now doing fairly well. I would suggest a low-light-only tank in a dark room, low-light species such as the carnation, black sun polyps, and such.