RED CORISS WRASSE

rock cod

I was thinking about adding a red coriss wrasse to my tank, not sure if they are compatiable with cleaner shrimp or reef set up. If not what would be a good wrasse to add to my tank with a foxface,cleaner shrimp, and clarkii clown, I have a 5o gal tank.

pufferlover

Red Coris Wrasse (alias King Coris) easy to keep. They bury at night so they like a soft substrate. Can get to 6 inches in length. Not recommended in a reef or with inverts as adults they will eat inverts as Juveniles they are ok. I have a Juv in my reef and it has not bothered any of the 3 shrimp but they are much bigger then its little mouth. At some point it will have to be moved but for now it is doing fine in there.

scy

Hello,I agree with Puffer on the coris wrasse.You could get a six line wrasse,or any of the fairy wrasses or a flasher wrasse,they will cost a little more money but imo worth it.

nm reef

Pufferlover......you mentioned that the red coris wrasse is "alias......king wrasse".....hmmmm...I just looked at a pic of a "western king wrasse" is this the one you are refering to?
I've had a juv red coris in my reef for better than 2 months now......I've searched and searched for info on the adult....color and general info but to date nothing........my favorite lfs recently had what they called an adult.....but it was not even close to the western king wrasse pic I just saw,,,,,,can you point me to info on the adult.............mine is beginning to change and I really need to know more about the adult stage...............thanks in advance

pufferlover

Well here is what I have on the Coris gaimardi (I love latin names) alias King Coris;
The male will develop a light green stripe on the body above the ana; fin as it gets older. Adults can grow to 15.75 inches (normally around 5.5 to 6 inches in a tank).Also known as Red Labrid; King Coris and/or just Clown wrasse. Indo-Pacific distribution. Bold bottom feeder. Can be nervous fish when first introduced into a tank but once settled they are hardy.
Thats about it without getting boring. Have not heard of it called western King but probably same fish with a lfs name added to it. Many lfs change fish names around when they are not sure what they have and wholesalers do the same on their invoices to the stores.

nm reef

As always Pufferlover....thank you for your help......I will continue to research and will hopefully find something concrete on the adult stage of my juv red coris wrasse....the pic of the western king was from a on-line data base....and was one of several that I have looked at over the past months in an attempt to id the adult stage of this wrasse.....I think the problem is simply that I do not know what the apparence of the adult is so it makes it difficult for me to id the adult and get reliable info.............I will research the info you provided .....by the way mine is well advanced in changing colors...........lines starting to fade and body is much darker......along the bottom there is a rather distinct metalic blue line................body except for remaining lines is nearly black.......

nm reef

One other thing....based on a very good resource....again from a on-line data base(which included a pic that matched my juv red coris wrasse to a "t") I'm confident that the wrasse in my tank is a juv coris gaimard africana......does this help any body in guideing me to adult stage color and traits??

T

tiggerk27

species profiles,saltwater fish, wrasses, red coris wrasse.
there is an adult and a juvenile picture.
Also, I have Scott Michael's book 500+ marine fishes. They have a picture of an adult and juvenile and info on the fish.
I hope this helps.
Kim
[ August 04, 2001: Message edited by: tiggerk27 ]
[ August 04, 2001: Message edited by: Pufferlover ]
[ August 04, 2001: Message edited by: Pufferlover ]

nm reef

tiggerk27.....you are my hero for the day.......my juv coris wrasse was one of my initial fish....hopefully I've become much more experienced as well as cautious since then.........was purchased as a reef safe wrasse but was aware of potential problems with juv...........have looked high and low for a positive id on the adult color and traits....this closed the book on this guy...thank you very much......I've been suspecting that he'd have to go to the fowlr/ls...........and when he does my 6-line will replace him in the reef........very good post and thx for the help.............thats what I love about this board above all the others I lurk on.....be friendly....be respectful....ask honest sincere questions and you will get the help you are looking for.......beats the heck out of ultra high tech do it this way or no way and flames that never die.........
once again I am deeply indebted to the kind members of the best board around.........and by the way I do believe this is the first time I've seen tiggerk27............

pufferlover

Sorry to have to have edited that post but links to links that sell fish are not allowed per our board leader. Anyway I see the needed info was gotten first so link really not needed now. Please don't make us have to do this but if we don't then we are not doing our job.

nm reef

Sorry pufferlover....I did check the refered site.....never even noticied anything about it except the pic I was in search of...........if I contributed to this problem ....sorry
This board is not in favor of links to sites offering goods and services and I fully support that policy.............I like it here and would not intentionally violate the established rules.............dang........ :eek: