red cystalline algae

bzolnowski

hello, i have a question, i have a 75 gallon tank set up for six months now with perfect numbers. i have a lot of deep red crystalline algae growing on my live rock, about 1/3 of it is covered. my question is, it looks beautiful but is this a good thing or bad? i cant find this information anywhere, please help! thanks, brian.

cnlight

You can let the corraline algae spread to wherever it wants. I would recomend that you scrape it off glass. You wouldn't want to wake up one morning and not be able to see your fish because of a hard purple film. :D :thinking:

bzolnowski

thanks for the input guys. i was just very surprised as its a beautiful deep deep red algae on the rocks. i keep it off the glass. does anyone else have this deep red color algae?

elfdoctors

Coraline algae can come in multiple colors. Besides the common purple color, I have some in a dark maroon color. I was getting over a cyanobacteria outbreak (which is the other dark red algae you should make sure you don't have) but this patch persisted. Eventually I scraped it and realized this is coraline. It is not spreading as fast as my purple coraline.

bzolnowski

thanks elf, it seems as though we are talking about the same stuff. i remember the other red algae, from what i remember, that stuff is a lot lighter then the coralline. thanks again. brian.