Red Gorgian?

lionfish

I've been looking all over for some information on Gorgians but haven't found any. A friend recently gave me one of these things and I have a couple questions. What am I supposed to feed it? Are they hard or soft corals or are they invertabrates? Also will it grow? Thanks~!
LionFish~

jtirone

If you are talking about gorgonians, then yes I know something about them. I have 3. I have a purple, a silver and a yellow. I was told that they are a soft coral. I was feeding them baby brine eggs every couple days. they were not doing very well. What I just bought that is doing wonders for them and my feather dusters is Kent marine Micro-Vert. Since I have started using this, all of my gorgonians are starting to regrow some bare spots, and grow new parts. The feather dusters have also started to grow. life is good.

N

niteshift

If they are not photosynthetic then how can
http://www.scientificcorals.com
Say this on their page of hardy beginners that does include gargonians???
"None of our corals require supplemental feeding (other than the light they feed on), and we strongly discourage the use of particulate foods for filter feeders (because of potential hair algae problems), unless its live food such as baby brine shrimp, rotifers, or other live plankton."
If i bought their package and didn't feed would I then just kill the gorgonians???
TIA
Chelle

clayton

It is going to depend on the species. Holaxonian corals do have zooxanthellae, as do some Gorgoniidae. Those that do not have zooxanthellae generally do very poorly in aquaria as they require a constant supply of live phytoplankton.
Remember the genus Gorgonia is protected by law in the USA!
If you can supply the name or give extensive detail on what it looks like I might be able to help.

lionfish

Clayton,
I bought this gorgonian from a brand new store. I didn't get much information. It is red with little white flowers. I've noticed in most pics that gorgonias are very skinny but mine is a bit fatter than others. I was told that these species are rare. They also have a yellow one available~! This is all the info I have.
LionFish~

clayton

Hmm, could still be pretty much anything. Just hope that it is photosynthetic. Suck it and see (well not literally!! LOL)