Red hair algae problem

hagfish

I have a 90 gallon reef that is loaded with red hair algae. I've been researching it and it sounds like Mexican Turbo Snails are by far the best option for eating it. I bought about 5 3-4 weeks ago. I barely saw any of them move and I think they all died. I threw the ones I could find away. I just tried buying 4 more Friday and I know one has died, another isn't moving but is still alive and I'm not sure about the other two. So, my main priority here is to get rid of the algae. But I'd also really like to know why I can't keep a turbo snail alive. Also, I've never been able to keep a turbo snail alive. I've bought one or two here or there for a couple years and never had much luck at all.
I run phosban and a fuge. I can never get nitrates below about 20. I do 10-20% water changes probably monthly, sometimes more. Temp is 79-80.

dinogeorge

Your algae could be related to your feeding methods. Can you cut back a bit? Also the more water flow you have, the better. As for your snails, it sounds to me like an acclimation issue. Revisit your methods for how long you are acclimating your snails. Inverts can be just as fragile as fish and so I acclimate them slowly over 2 hours in some cases.
Good luck man.

abethedog

I would syphon off some of that red if it is that bad. A good time to do that is during a water change. Just do a syphon like you are vacuuming. Watch your water levels. Make sure you have enough water to replace.