Red Hawkfish

nexadus

I currently have a red hawkfish, had him for a month or so and today after work i gave him a nice close look, and he just stared back at me and ran away, but after enough staring i noticed that he his fish scales have this kinda whiteish clearish look, as if the fish scales were peeling off or something. I'm curious, is this normal? Or does my fish have some type of parasite/disease? If he does i'll quarantine him shortly.

rad

thats not ick. but it looks sick to me. what it is? I couldnt tell you. but good luck none the less.

sepulatian

What is in the tank with him? If the scales are missing then it could be due to aggression. Do you notice the fish scratching his body on the rocks and sand?

nexadus

In the tank :
Yellow Tang
Red lip blenny,
False-Percula,
Sailfin Tang ( atm in the quarantine tank )
Hawaiin feather dusters,
Kouran Angel,
Turbo snails, and a mushroom anenome, thats all i really have atm.
He doesn't scratch himself, he eats normally and breathes normally (most of the time), I never see any aggresion but i may be wrong.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Nexadus
http:///forum/post/2501319
In the tank :
Yellow Tang
Red lip blenny,
False-Percula,
Sailfin Tang ( atm in the quarantine tank )
Hawaiin feather dusters,
Kouran Angel,
Turbo snails, and a mushroom anenome, thats all i really have atm.
He doesn't scratch himself, he eats normally and breathes normally (most of the time), I never see any aggresion but i may be wrong.
What sized tank is this? If he is not scratching then he is either being chased, which it sounds like to me, or is scratching when you aren't looking. These are very bold fish. My Falco will tussle with my fuzzy lion over food and he is half the lion's size. Flames are even more bold than Falcos. My guy is shy on the list of hawks. You have a YT and a Koran angel. The YT would be the chaser, but the angel would help, depending on the stage of life. The scales are definitely missing. He does not look like he has a parasite at all. Again, what sized tank are they in?

nexadus

There in a 55 gallon sized tank, he usually has pretty good hiding spots, one top of the power head (its not on), near my skimmer or my heater, and also in a hole on a rock.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Nexadus
http:///forum/post/2501792
There in a 55 gallon sized tank, he usually has pretty good hiding spots, one top of the power head (its not on), near my skimmer or my heater, and also in a hole on a rock.
That is why the hawk is being harassed. That tank is way too small for the tang and angel. They get nasty in confined areas. That tang can slip into tiny crevices and chase the hawk. Think about an upgrade or getting rid of some fish. You have a sailfin in qt right now?