Red Legs vs Blue Legs

flydan

Hey all,
I've been doing more research and since I'll be in the market for a clean-up crew I've got questions. Most package deals I see have a wide mix of critters which I guess makes sense since they do different things, BUT, I've also read that Blue Leg Hermits eat snails and that Astrea snails have a habit of flipping over and croaking since they can't right themselves. Also, are scarlet hermits the same as red leg hermits? Can I modify a package deal to keep out stuff I don't want and add stuff I do want?
Thanks,
Dan'l :confused:

First red legs and scarlets are the same hermits, and IMO, the best hermits to keep. Personally I hate blue leg hermits as they like to gang up on snails, as you said. I have many in my tank that I will soon drop into my aggressive for my puffer. They have killed several snails, mess with my feather duster and even my starfish. Yes, if you are ordering from this site, which I recommend, they are really cool about subsitutions in packages. You can sub but only for eqaul or lesser value. Snails do often fall over and cannot right themselves but usually if they are already weak and that go's for many in the turbo family, not just the astreas. You can flip them over with a stick or your hand, which I have to do from time to time. IMO, get as little amount of the blue legs as possible. Little suckers liek to rat pack whatever they can get. Oh, BTW, all hermits will eat snails as all hewrmits are opportunists and will eat whatever they feel like, be it algae or fellow inverts. IME, Scarlets are not as prone to this behavior as the blues. GL!
[ June 06, 2001: Message edited by: Saltwater Marauder ]

playtime

You are right about the snails except it happens to all snails. I havent had any trouble. right now, my starfish have been having them for lunch but other than that, everyone is fine. I just need to increase their meals. as far as herits go, I like both blue legg and scarlet. they do a great job of keeping my reef clean. you should see them at feeding time. too cool. I would just say go for one of the package deals offered in this site, they are awesome.
I just oredered my second shipment from here.
I cant wait to get it.
Playtime

getinjr

you may want to get some shells for them to grow into also, the blue legs can grow pretty fast and will eat the scarlets out of house and home,fyi

mr. tang

I have both in my tand and I hate my blue ones. They have munched 5 turbo's already. I wouldn't get any if I were you.

b_ball12_99

Blue legs will kill snails if the snail is dead, dieing, or the hermit needs a new home. Most people prefer red leg hermits. I have blue legs and love them.

flydan

Hey!
Thanks for all the info. How long does it take to get an order off this sight? I'd like to be home when it arrives so I can get them out of those plastic bags! Do they toss in extra shells? Should I ask for some?
:D

playtime

If you place your order monday morning you should receive them by wed. They send you an email when it has been shipped and a link so you can track it. it is really cool.
playtime

bayouguy

If you mix red and blue hermits, you'll eventually end up with blue hermits and then blue hermit (one, hehehe)
Admittedly the blue hermits' aggressiveness can be entertaining sometimes, but if you like your tank to be peaceful, avoid these critters - they can be incredibly annoying.
I'm curious where the shells for hermit crabs come from? Something makes these shells - what kind of creatures? Can they be kept in closed systems?

S

stormbind

BayouGuy,
Snails make most of the shells for the hermits. That's why they will eat them on a regular sched.

flydan

Thanks for the info. Looks like it's thumbs down on the blue guys! I appreciate everybodies oppinions but I'd like a nice peaceful tank so I think I'll keep the bullies out.

josh f

I have blue legs, and they haven't messed with anything so far, they seem to be smaller than the red leggs, I haven't added many sheels for them, although I had a bigger hermit that got into this cool conch shell, IMO the blues are fine as long as you don't get too many BIGger ones, stay small, and they have been fine for me, but what do I know anyways?

krazzydart

Originally posted by BayouGuy:
<STRONG>If you mix red and blue hermits, you'll eventually end up with blue hermits and then blue hermit (one, hehehe)
Admittedly the blue hermits' aggressiveness can be entertaining sometimes, but if you like your tank to be peaceful, avoid these critters - they can be incredibly annoying.
I'm curious where the shells for hermit crabs come from? Something makes these shells - what kind of creatures? Can they be kept in closed systems?</STRONG>
they come from other snails...... if you check my website you will see that I sell them......... I have never had any problems with my hermits...... I have a bunch of shells of differant sizes in the tank for them.... ( about 3 shells per crab )