Red mangrove tuber

spider crab

Hello All,
I bought a red mangrove tuber hoping to reduce nitrates in my tank. I put the tuber in the tank itself, but it's leaves promptly burned up. It appears to still be alive but I'm doubting it will ever grow any larger. I have 2 250 Mh's and 2 110 VHOs on a 75 gallon enclosed in a canopy.
I'm guessing the leaves were just too close to the light source and I should probably start with a new one in my sump. My question is what kind of minimal lighting do I need to keep the mangrove alive and growing? The tube it came in said it needs 800 lumens minimum. Any idea what kind of bulb would give me that much? I'm assuming I'll use a small PC ballast under the stand, but wanted to make sure I got the right size without going overboard. I'd also like to setup a fuge with caulerpa down there as well.
Anyone have experience with using Mangroves to reduce nitrates?

spider crab

Are Macro algeas better at reducing nitrates than mangroves? I was planning on doing both anyways, but I am curious now which is more effective.

dreeves

athiel.com has very good information on Mangroves, growing, etc. There is also links to purchasing them as well. Has good information about other topics in marine ecosystems as well.

beaslbob

Originally posted by Spider Crab
Are Macro algeas better at reducing nitrates than mangroves? I was planning on doing both anyways, but I am curious now which is more effective.

not an expert but got a feeling macro algaes are much better. They can spread very quick compared to the slow growing mangroves. Also don't pop up against the lights.

spider crab

Well if there is a guy from ---- selling them for $9.99 for 9 than thats seems like a deal. I think I paid around $8.99 for one from ***********.com. I think the tuber was from a company called two little fishes.