red mushroom are dying....help!

ireven

I switched my sandbed from CC to small size white sand. everything were doing fine for two wees. Then, my red mushroom were starting melt and dying. (i have green, blue, etc. but only red ones dead).
since the red mushroom started melt,(it smell bad) the brown alge started to come out. I am doing 5% water change every 5 days now.
is there somehing would hurting red mushroom?

ireven

Ph:8.2
No3:5
no2:0
Am:0
Temp:78C
lighting:130W PC, 50/50 (one month old). 8 hours a day
refu:55W PC. 10 hours a day.(it's a old PC lights)
my tank is two years old. (before i did the sandbed change)

fishking

it looks like the water is fine, i really dont no wut could make it die, did it get touched by another coral

ireven

the only other corals can touch red ones are green and blue shrooms....
and i have another red one set at other side of the tank. it's dying too....
man, don't know why.

bustedup21

You said your water smells. Does it smell like rotten eggs. If it does that is a sulphur release. You need to change 30 to 40% of your water and find a way to add a carbon filter to you system for a few days. You will have to add back your esential elements because the carbon will remove them as well. After 48 hrs you should see a remarkable difference in the smell, if you do not change out the carbon and put in more until the smell leaves.
Do not get hung up on what your test are telling you. Not everything that is bad can be found through a test but the easiest way to help your livestock is to give them clean water. You may need to change 20 to 30 % of your water every couple of days for the next couple of weeks till you get this under control.
good luck

ireven

thanks bustedup21!
my water smells OK. Only the shrooms smell bad.(i took them out since they are stilling melting)
i will do the water change very week.
Also i have a question about the sulphur release. how does that happen? I meant all the mushrooms do that?

ireven

by the way, i changed the salt mix that i have been using.
I used to use Insant Ocean. Then i changed to Oceanic. Is this the reason?
and all my other mushrooms start to come off from where they were. (they want to change to the new localation)

R

rockcod5

If possible use Catalina brand premixed saltwater you can buy at your lfs. It takes the guess work out of mixing which could cause all sorts of problems if you are not mixing them right. It's worth the extra couple of dollars to save your corals. That's what I do and I never had a problem with smell or water parameters.