Red or Green Carpet Anenome

andymi

All,
I have the opportunity currently to pick up a red carpet and a green carpet anenome. I have heard the red's are very rare in stores. The price tag was $300 and I am curious if anyone has one of these, had one of these, or knows anything about them. Is it worth $300? It was pretty nice looking and I think would make a great addition to my tank, just curious if I should get it or not.
--Andy

mr . salty

$300 for anything that has less than a 20% chance of living more than a year is a no brainer for me..I would definatly pass.Like I said,,Only a small percentage of anemones survive a year in captivity...

sonny

I agree with Mr. Salty.... but if you have some cash you want to burn, by all means, give it a shot! Carpet anemones are beautiful, but I still think all anemones need a special tank with few corals and tons of light to survive. If you feel confident you can keep anemones, I say go for it.
Sonny

It really depends on the tank and you.
Is your tank ready. What is the norm for the parameters? What kind of lighting do you have? Is there any coral that the anemone might sting? Is the tank big enough? Do you really want to spend the money? What if it dies? Is it really worth it? Will you take care of it? Are you ready?
Do what you want but please do not come crying if it dies and you have a 300$ loss.
Adam