Red-Room 54 Gallon Corner Thread

fishlawyer

Hey AllSo, I just got my new All-Glass 54 Gallon Corner Tank.
Anyway, I figured that this would be the chance to try out some new technology I have been wanting to buy.I purchased a new home about a year ago and it was a little large for just myself and my wife. (5 Bedrooms and we have no kids...) So, after turning the downstairs bedroom into an Office, I opened up the stairwell and turned the upstairs bedroom into a private television/video game/sitting room. It is what my wife calls my "guy room." I even painted the walls a deep red to contrast the blue/black furniture. Now I can keep my big screen, video games, fish, etc. away from the formal living room or den. (Keeps the misses happy, which keeps me safe......
)
I am sure I could have gone bigger, but 54 gallons is as big as I was willing to go on the second floor of my house. Plus, I think it fits nice in the room.
Anyway, I am not sure what I will be putting in the tank yet. I am open to any suggestions you may have... (I may purchase smaller fish and transfer them to my larger 90 gallon office tank later...) I guess I have a month to decide!
The Tank:

* 54 Gallon All-Glass Bow Front Tank with Black Oak Stand and Glass Cover
The Lighting:

* 2 Bulb 24" Electric Ballast Flourescent with One T12 Blue and One T8 White Bulb
* 24" Moonlight LED Strip Light (Should be here late next week.)
* 4 Bulb 12" Electric Ballast Flourescent with Two T5 Blue and Two T5 White Biulbs (Should arrive late next week.)
Heater:

* Fluval Digital Display E200
Water:

* 5 Stage RO/DI with 5 Gallon Storage Tank
The Filtration:

* Fluval G6 with new Fluval G-Nodes, Fine Mechanical Filter Cartridge and Carbon Cartridge
Protein Skimmer:

* Not Decided Yet
Electronics:

* Two Noma Digital Timers
Water Flow:

* Two Koralia 3's
* Dual Directional G6 Outlet
Substrate:

* 40 Lbs of Aragonite
Live Rock:

* 60 Lbs of Live Rock (Should Arrive on Monday.)
All comments or ideas are welcome!

fishlawyer

Originally Posted by nolanrob123
http:///forum/post/3240212
Oooooooh exciting. What are you going to stock in there?
Really not sure yet... Was thinkingn of getting a very young clown and raising it in there for 6 months - 1 year or so, then transferring it to my 90 gallon... I like the idea of buying fish young and raising them to transfer into my larger tank... Also, since I am finding a new home for my Killer snowflake eel, I will have lots of room in my larger tank...
Although, I am completely open to suggesions... This tank is an open slate for me!

nolanrob123

Say whaaaaaaaaaaa? All that room for oportunity and you want to raise clown fish? I think corner tanks do a great job for reefs as you can have ledges and branches come from the center out! Good thing is you can have anemones and clowns thriving as one whilst displaying a reef!

Originally Posted by FishLawyer
http:///forum/post/3240218
Really not sure yet... Was thinkingn of getting a very young clown trigger and raising it in there for 6 months - 1 year or so, then transferring it to my 90 gallon... I like the idea of buying fish young and raising them to transfer into my larger tank... Also, since I am finding a new home for my Killer snowflake eel, I will have lots of room in my larger tank...
Although, I am completely open to suggesions... This tank is an open slate for me!

jpgnmt

I have that same tank and built my rock along the two sides but the idea building them in the middle sounds interesting. Mine goes through a wall and I can look at the two flat sides from the other side. I have a Coral Banded Shrimp that I would never see if I couldn't look on the other side of the rock. Lighting was a challenge for me as I lose some room because of going through the wall. Ended up with a four tube T-5 and a 150 watt MH with just a few led's. Everything got happy with the addition of the MH,

fishlawyer

I am not really sure what I want in this tank... While I love clownfish, I have a really nice pair in my 12 Gallon Nano. (See my reef diary for pics.)
Maybe a pair of black clowns?
I would be open to any stocking suggestions anyone may have...

ibew41

take back the timers and get an ac jr controller with the ph probe. You can control the lights with it also

meowzer

I have the same tank too, but all my rock is in the center. I bought it already set up
I have 2 clowns, 1 sixline, 1 firefish, 2 yellowclow gobys, 1 flame hawk, longfin sleeper goby
and crabs, snails etc...
ALso keeping some zoas, shrooms, and other stuff

fishlawyer

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3240922
I have the same tank too, but all my rock is in the center. I bought it already set up
I have 2 clowns, 1 sixline, 1 firefish, 2 yellowclow gobys, 1 flame hawk, longfin sleeper goby
and crabs, snails etc...
ALso keeping some zoas, shrooms, and other stuff
I wasn thinking of a similar setup... I really want a nice sixline.

fishlawyer

OK, so I was at my LFS store today and was thinking about my potential stocking list for this tank. While my tank will be cycling for a few weeks, given where I live I may have to order some of the items. Here it is:
Fish:
1 Bi-Color Angel
2 False Perc Clownfish (Or maybe Black Clowns for something different)
1 Red Firefish
1 Sand Sifting Goby (Not Sure What Kind)
Inverts:
5 Turbo Snails
10 Nass Snails
5 Electric Blue Hermits
2 Emerald Crabs
2 Tiger Cowrie
1 Pencil Urchin
2 Cleaner Shrimp
Any suggestions or ideas on this setip?