red / rusty algae

jpence151

I have a 120 with 50 lbs of rock. Great looking purple and red coraline algea on the rock. Running 2 HQI and a 96 watt PC. The pc went out and I didn't replace it at the time. I now have a lot of Red or Rust colored algae on the rock and glass. I am replacing the PC bulb with a 50/50 so I can start adding corals. Also the tank is in front of an east window. When the pc went out I opened the curtains to the window. Where is the rusty algae coming from the pc being out or the window light being let in?
TIA
John

brandons

Combination of both, but mostly the window. You have to also be careful with windows because they can result in large fluctuations of temperature throughout the day, especially one that is in line with the sun rising/setting

wayway

Jpence151, I was just wondering what part of Indiana are you from and what pet store you go to.

jpence151

BrandonS
Thanks That is what I thought but with all the blue from the HQI bulbs I wanted to check.
WayWay
I live in the SB/Elkhart area. I have been doing business with midwestcorals.com local wholesaler working on setting up retail. If your in the area he has a nice setup. Mostly corals but just put in a nice fish section that matches or beats most lfs in the area. Does special orders and has much better prices. Are you in Indiana?
Also have bought from swf once and was very happy with the goods I received.

A

am3gross20

what about ***************? have you tried there? i have been there a few times and really like there service and prices!there are also a couple in muncie and kokomo if you want to go that far. just my 2 cents.