Red Sand?

dartman

My sand is turning a dark red, slowly right under my MH light. Is this a bad thing or normal and what can I do to control it? Thanks in advanced.

rusting

Could be cynobacteria. Cut back on feeding. How is your water flow? you may not be getting enough movement on your sandbed. When that happend to me I added 2 small powerheads, and started to feed every day. No more cyno.

washowi

Originally Posted by rusting
Could be cynobacteria. Cut back on feeding. How is your water flow? you may not be getting enough movement on your sandbed. When that happend to me I added 2 small powerheads, and started to feed every day. No more cyno.

ditto you have cyno...suck it off with a turkey baster. You need more flow in the tank. also reduce light time. You use tap water in your make up water? What is your Phospate level? Cyno needs food to live - you have to starve it.

rusting

Originally Posted by washowi
ditto you have cyno...suck it off with a turkey baster. You need more flow in the tank. also reduce light time. You use tap water in your make up water? What is your Phospate level? Cyno needs food to live - you have to starve it.

Good point, washowi. Use only RO/DI water.

dartman

I don't know phosate levels I don't have a tester. I use RO/DI. I currently run lighting for 12 1/2 hours MH PC combo. Is cyno bad for your tank?

washowi

Originally Posted by dartman
I don't know phosate levels I don't have a tester. I use RO/DI. I currently run lighting for 12 1/2 hours MH PC combo. Is cyno bad for your tank?

It sure isn't good for it. I run my lights like this (I use 2 400w 14K MH with 2 50/50 dual atintics -135w each)
50/50's on at 10AM off at 10 PM
MH on at 11 AM off at 7 PM
All tanks need algea, but you want to control it. My run with Cyno was from high phospates. Forgit to change the filters on my RO/DO water filter.
No one wants cyno. trust me.
Todd

rusting

Originally Posted by washowi
It sure isn't good for it. I run my lights like this (I use 2 400w 14K MH with 2 50/50 dual atintics -135w each)
50/50's on at 10AM off at 10 PM
MH on at 11 AM off at 7 PM
All tanks need algea, but you want to control it. My run with Cyno was from high phospates. Forgit to change the filters on my RO/DO water filter.
No one wants cyno. trust me.
Todd

Cyno will cover everything in your tank. If left unchecked, It can kill your coral, and coraline algae. You may want to cut back on feeding.

dartman

I have only two damsels I do over feed but I feed only every other day. I plan on getting more fish this shold help with the over feeding and also will my cleaning crew eat this Cyno?

washowi

Originally Posted by dartman
I have only two damsels I do over feed but I feed only every other day. I plan on getting more fish this shold help with the over feeding and also will my cleaning crew eat this Cyno?
more fish means more bio load. Nothing eats cyno that I am aware of. You can try red slime remover. I have used it. (at the LFS), but you need address the root cause of the cyno. Feeding, lack of movement, light.
Suck it out with a turkey baster, do a water change, feed less, add more powerheads, lessen the light on the tank until the cyno clears. BTW all tanks have had it. Sometimes I still get it. You just have to attack it when it appears.
Todd