Red scooter blenny!!

monalisa

Well, the last fish I'm getting for my 37gal is now situated in my tank and eating with the "big fish". He's a red scooter blenny. He's got so much personality, I just love him already!!
I just got some pics of him to post here...right before the batteries went completely dead on my camera...soooo...
...how about seeing pics of your blennies while I'm waiting for my camera to charge?
I would also be interested in knowing what kind of blennies everyone has. I'll post my pics on this thread as soon as I can.
Thanks!!
Lisa :happyfish

puffer32

I have 3 blennies, my fav fish! My scooter is great for dancing on the front of the glass, quite a show, you do know they usually need lots of pods to stay healthy right? Mine also eats frozen mysis shrimp and live brine. I also have a midas blenny, he is entertaining also. He never hides except from my bi color blenny, they swim into each others holes and wait for the lther to come chase them. My bi is my fav blenny, he has so much charactor. He picks hermits up and tosses them if they climb on his rocks. Just love him

monalisa

Originally Posted by puffer32
I have 3 blennies, my fav fish! My scooter is great for dancing on the front of the glass, quite a show, you do know they usually need lots of pods to stay healthy right? Mine also eats frozen mysis shrimp and live brine. I also have a midas blenny, he is entertaining also. He never hides except from my bi color blenny, they swim into each others holes and wait for the lther to come chase them. My bi is my fav blenny, he has so much charactor. He picks hermits up and tosses them if they climb on his rocks. Just love him

You know? I did read that they need a lot of pods, but this guy is amazing me by eating virtually everything that I put into the tank at feeding time!! So far, flake (enriched) brine, formula II, and frozen prime reef. I've got a few more selections that I'm going to try him on, but I'm SO happy that he's eating so good!! He even scoots up to the middle of the tank to eat with my other fish...it's really cool!!
And yes, he dances in front of the glass, especially when I'm standing there with some food and the other fish are doing their supper dance...

Got any pics of your blennies Puffer? I've got to wait to charge my camera...it's completely dead and I have to wait til hubby gets home to find out where the charger is

monalisa

This is going to sound rather, well, strange...but I don't think that my red scooter blenny is a red scooter blenny at all!! I've been surfing and looking at pics of others, and mine doesn't really look like that!! He's still a cool little guy, but now I'm wondering just exactly what he is!! OK, maybe he's just really, really young?? He just doesn't look like the pics that I've seen...will post pics when, well, you know...

I think that I can add a pic of "Binnie"...somehow the camera kept enough juice to let me download, but this is the only one that turned out...Red Scooter Blennny? Or not? Either way, how cute is he???
Yeah, I know, the coraline is going to be scraped off this weekend.

puffer32

Nope thats not a scooter blenny lol. Looks like some type of gobie or another type of blenny. I was shocked when you said yours eats flake, frozen and live, I would believe but never heard of them eating flake lol! He is real cute anyway
My camera is terrible but here are some shots of all 3 of my blennies, first one is my scooter, I believe they are really in the mandrin family, hes not a red one, he has brown'black markings and a red tail and fin that you can't see in the pic.

monalisa

Yours looks like a diamond goby to me, such a cute little face :happyfish
LOL!!! OMG!! I think you're absolutely right!! Yeah, me!! Well, OK, the previous is a pic of my newly acquired diamond goby...name changed again...Yoda...just cause he looks like a Yoda. In any case, we love him!!

puffer32

You are right! He looks just like yida, good name, those eyes are enchanting. You are better off that its not a scooter. I had one in a 75 with no fuge and he wouldn't touch any food but pods, he eventually ate all the pods and died of hunger, no worries with this guy
Post more pics when you can.

fishgeek01

Originally Posted by MonaLisa
This is going to sound rather, well, strange...but I don't think that my red scooter blenny is a red scooter blenny at all!! I've been surfing and looking at pics of others, and mine doesn't really look like that!! He's still a cool little guy, but now I'm wondering just exactly what he is!! OK, maybe he's just really, really young?? He just doesn't look like the pics that I've seen...will post pics when, well, you know...

I think that I can add a pic of "Binnie"...somehow the camera kept enough juice to let me download, but this is the only one that turned out...Red Scooter Blennny? Or not? Either way, how cute is he???
Yeah, I know, the coraline is going to be scraped off this weekend.
i beleive that is a perch-let, or from that family, given the kind of conical body shape.

fishgeek01

maybe, i just dont think the head is the right shape to be a diamond or goby for that matter, but it might be the pic... cant say with 100% cert.

monalisa

You are right! He looks just like yida, good name, those eyes are enchanting. You are better off that its not a scooter. I had one in a 75 with no fuge and he wouldn't touch any food but pods, he eventually ate all the pods and died of hunger, no worries with this guy
Post more pics when you can.
Hi Puffer!!
Yeah, I'm super relieved that he's not a scooter blenny after all. When finding out their requirements, I got a stomach ache thinking of trying to catch that little bugger to return him, especially after seeing what the girl at the shop went through to get him for me.
He looks exactly like the orange diamond goby that this site has pictured for sale except that mine has red spots instead of orange.
I'm home on Monday for the holiday and will be doing...what else, water change and tank cleaning. I'll get some better pics of him after the tank looks more presentable.
We sure are happy with him, he's a great addition!!

durgeonman

I dont think thats a dimond goby either. It looks a lot like a Redspotted Sand Perch (couldnt find a picture to post). And if it is it might eat any shrimp that you may have as well as jump out of the tank.

F

fishrul11

i have a lawn mower blenny. they have so much personality!!! i never get tired of him hoping from rock to rock eating every piece of grass in sight! :jumping:

puffer32

Originally Posted by durgeonman
I dont think thats a dimond goby either. It looks a lot like a Redspotted Sand Perch (couldnt find a picture to post). And if it is it might eat any shrimp that you may have as well as jump out of the tank.
I sure hope you are wrong

Monalisa, can't wait to see some pics, always been a fan of your tank, your trumpets inspired me to get some with the darker rings :joy:

fishmamma

Hi Lisa, I have missed you!!!!
This seems to be your latest post so I wanted to say hello, looks like you got yourself an interesting fish. Have you decided what it is yet? From the pics it looks like a perch but hard to tell with only one photo...either way it sounds as though you are enjoying him quite a bit! How is everything going? I hear there is a grandbaby on the way. :jumping:

cjml

Hes a beautiful fish and just because he may eat things we don't want him to eat doesn't mean he has to be destroyed.
Its not his fault he was captured and sold- the store who sold him should have been honest when selling him. Of course that rarely happens....hope it works out for you and your little fish... :happyfish :happyfish

puff_puff_

Hi monalisa, first question. did you get him at *****?
Second, perch is a good name for him. but he is actually a red spotted grub fish. i know this cause i bought one under the same pretenses you did! it is not reef safe will harase and eat small crabs and snails and nip at corals.. And a tremendous pain in the butt if you have to catch him! i actually have been in a dispute with ***** for some time now about the damage he did... we agreed on a settlement of 800 bucks the sent me some papers to sign and i didnt read them to clearly and just signed and mailed back. i ended up with a 200 dollar ***** gift card! not quite what i was thinking i was getting but the 10 pages novel the sent me wasnt getting read... my fault. but hey 2 free buckets of salt another test kit, some frozen food, and other shelf products for free where fine with me.. but i will never by fish from them agian.. and the G.M. had the nerve to call me over to the fish section and askme if i could identify a fish they had no clue what he was. turned out it was some type of hawk fish. i told him that but unless i was getting paid it wasnt worth my time to find out for him.. they will just sell him as a gold fish any way! good luck and be carefull with that fish.. i love mine but had to pull him out of the reef and put him in the puffer tank.. he got tuff with them till they put him in check now they all live happily... P.S. call ***** and get your gift card. use me as an example if you want!

firedog

FYI scooter blennies are not blennies at all, but are dragonets, just like mandarins. Their care requirements are more or less the same for mandarins. But I have the impression that it is easier to get them to take frozen mysis.