Red Sea Berlin Airlift Skimmer (got one?)

zantho

I'm setting up a smaller tank, 30g with a 10g sump and was looking around for skimmers to go into my sump. This one looks small and is supposedly effective but there were two caveats I saw.
1) You have to replace the airstone to keep it running efficiently.
2) You have to maintain a water level to keep it running efficiently.
Does anyone have one or has experience with one? Is it any good? How often do you replace the air stones? How high of a water level does it need, and would that be easily maintained in a 10g sump?

seasalt101

the water level is for the inlet, i believe proper skimming is in the top 2-3 inches of the tank and an airstone just fits on the end of an airlinetube no big deal probably clean once a month with vinagar and rinsed in r.o. water just get 2 of them and let them soak a day then rinse it out well and swap them back and forth....tobin :happyfish

zantho

Cool, thanks... I've seen so many mixed reviews on this product, but I think it might be worth a shot.

poop_head

I had one of these on my 55 and it basicaly sucked for me. I say save the like $70(I think that was around the price) and get a better one. I'm sure there are action site you can find a better one for around the same price.

ryanhayes9

i had it and it was a piece of crap. also it doesint comw with an air pump and you need a powerful one so theres another 30 bucks. then i got a coralife 125 for my 75. it pulles around 1/4 of a GALLON of BLACK NESS in one day!

joeram

I have one and it works fine. change the original air stone to a larger air stone. and it works great. as far as water level, I think you will learn where to have the berlin set. I clean mine about every 3 days and it works fine. what you have to adjust is the amount of air. too much air and the foam is to diluted.