Red Sea Fan

coralcutie104

Hey I have a red sea fan and a purple whip for about 2wks. Three days ago my sea fan has something brown on it and only a few polyps are opening but the purple whip is opening and closing just fine and is getting enough water flow. Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate all 0ppm I target feed with DT's daily. Here is pictures before and after one taken tonight and one from last week. One is happy on is not!?!?! What that F?!?!?! Can someone help me figure this out.
Pictures below!!
3days ago

today....

flower

You have it in direct light and it is getting covered with algae. You have to get the algae off some way. A super soft toothbrush (mark it fish only) will work..be very gentle

coralcutie104

Ok, It said on the description strong light strong flow. I shade my sponge to keep algae off should I do the same for this, or dose it photosynthesize and require direct light?

coralcutie104

Also , I turn my lights on from 11am till 10pm is 11 hrs too much? and why is the purple whip not growing any algae? I have 250watt MH with 2 t5 H.O. Antic Blue bulbs and cute blue moon leds Its a 30 xtra tall 30gallon.

flower

250MH is pretty intense. Red sea fans do need light so maybe try placing the fan lower in the tank. Red sea fans are hard to keep, the purple ones are much easier. The purple whip will also get algae and have to be cleaned off. You will find that all of the gorgonia family of coral are a bit ticky. Good strong flow is a must.