Red Sea Max 34 Gallon for Beginner

jw1977

Red Sea Max 34 Gallon for Beginner

[hr]
What do people think of this tank. My LFS is trying to talk me into this over a 46 or 72 gallon. Is this a good tank for a beginner? It does appear to be a pretty good value.

bhfccsr198

hey i would hold off on it i heard that red sea is looking at tweaking it because everyone is complaining about it because with luight it getting to hot and you will most def need a chiller that was told to me by a person that works at that fish place he said that what red sea rep told him

S

swalchemist

Current Solana would be much better IMO, do some research on it. But it's the best nano right now.

sigmachris

Go as big as you can afford...if you are worried about it because you are just starting out, then go slow.
Good luck,
Chris

lecithin

my LFS tried to sell me the same thing. It's a good system but it just wasn't for me. I decided to build my own system and ended up with a 50g for actually a little less then the system cost.
Its up to you really, if you do your research and take your time I think you will be much more satisfied with your own creation but if those systems look appealing to you (and they are cool things) then buy that.
Remember larger is better and you have a ton of people here who can help you through it.

S

swalchemist

Size of the tank is really not important anymore. The technology available to us today allows us to keep stable systems at almost any size. Now it comes down to the hobbyists knowledge and size of his/her budget. With these "nano" systems you are likely spend far more or at least equal to a larger system in the end though so keep that in mind. A friend of mine got the Max when it first came out, and now has as much in it as I have in my 120.

m0nk

If you do decide to go with this tank, make sure it's definitely what you want. The setup is rather expensive and with everything being in one unit, it's more difficult to upgrade equipment, should you decide to go with a bigger tank. Again, coming back to the lighting, you won't be able to do SPS or clams under the lighting and from what I've seen it would be rather difficult to upgrade to a Metal Halide fixture on that setup, so be sure you don't want to do SPS or clams in the future. Same goes with bigger fish. Otherwise, it looks like a nice tank, my LFS has one running and I've admired it a few times. Personally, though, it's not something I'd sink my money into, I'd rather have the freedom to make adjustments to my equipment.

santiago

if money isnt an issue id go with a 55 or 40g tank with a trickle filter and you can store a skimmer down there. but if you want corals i'd go with the 29 bio cube.

S

swalchemist

If you want coral go with the 55 IMO, more room as they grow fast when given what they need. Figure your cost around the $2000 mark a bit lower but this is average for a good 55 reef starter cost.

reefmack

No chiller needed with my RSM, and I have a Current Orbit HQI/T5 fixture on it now (cooling fans in summer only). With the stock hood I never needed a chiller either - just the little add-on fan that comes with newer models. Keeping the room cool helps. If you have a hot room to keep any tank in you'll need a chiller or at least cooling fans.