red sea nano Vs. JBJ

christina f

I was wondering if anyone has compared the new 07 Red Sea Max 34G nano to the new 07 JBJ 28G nano cube. I am thinking about a mini-reef. Both systems claim to have lighting for coral and come with protein skimmers.
Just wondering what current nano owners thought
Thanks for your opinion
C

lion_crazz

The Red Sea Max tanks are wonderful set-ups. I have two problems with them though:
1. The lights are a bit weak. They are only offering 110 watts of PC light.
2. There are no fans in the hood to keep the lights cool.
Other than those two major flaws, the tank is wonderful. Everything is hidden, it has a built in surge for outlets, built in timers, a nice protein skimmer, strong flow, and the tank is a nice shape.

christina f

Thanks for the reply. I thought the same thing....the JBJ has a built-in cooling fan (3000RPM) and 150 watt HQI /14K lighting.. Also, the JBJ has a wave-maker feature. I'm just researching....but Someday....I would like to gain enough experience to get a clam! LOL
Thanks
C

christina f

it is the one the is coming out Mid March. It is the 2007 28g Nano-cube HQI "The ultimate reef series biotope!" The power heads are 266gph each, and I like the idea of having two (one on each side) instead of just one on the Red sea.
If you have a chance to check it out--please offer your assessment
Thanks
C

christina f

Hope you found it--I'm a newbee--I just want to get the right set-up to support the types of coral and inverts I want from the very beginning. I ordered a book about mini reef corals from SWF.com, but it is still in the pending status. (bummer) So, I think I will be able to "work backwards"
I already have most test kits and RO/DI water access. I currently have a 150G Fish only tank that is working well for me.
Thanks
C

zanoshanox

I've seen them, they look pretty nice, but correct my if i'm wrong, doesnt the red sea model come with t-5's?

christina f

Red Sea 34G
I just looked again...
2X 55 watt T-5 compacts (1watt-liter 4 watt-gallon)
10000K actinic
blue led moonlights
and guess what? a fan-cooled hood
JBJ
150 watt HQI/14K (5.35 watts per gallon)
4 nite-vu LEDs
and a cooling fan in the hood with thermal protection--auto shut off
What do you think? I would love to know
Thanks
C

zanoshanox

you'd be able to keep anything with the 150 w HQI, but the t5's would be great too....if only they had a fan...for the price i go with jbj

christina f

If only I knew what any of this actually ment.....LOL
I will research lighting requirements before buying anything
Thanks for your help
C

praisethel

I think the JBJ is dreamy. I'm close to pulling the trigger on one. DiMartini has warned us that we should budget for a chiller; which I'm comfortable with.
Nice thread with some good points!
PTL

christina f

I wondered about that.....the stand that matches the JBJ is built to hold one...that should probably be the first clue. I would love to have a nano like Demartini..
Thanks for your input
C

lxoxsxi

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
The Red Sea Max tanks are wonderful set-ups. I have two problems with them though:
1. The lights are a bit weak. They are only offering 110 watts of PC light.
2. There are no fans in the hood to keep the lights cool.

Other than those two major flaws, the tank is wonderful. Everything is hidden, it has a built in surge for outlets, built in timers, a nice protein skimmer, strong flow, and the tank is a nice shape.

Originally Posted by zanoshanox
you'd be able to keep anything with the 150 w HQI, but the t5's would be great too....if only they had a fan
...for the price i go with jbj

Red Sea Max
The outreach program for the infamous grape-vine has touched two more people...

edit:
and to give credit where credit is due:
Originally Posted by Christina F

Red Sea 34G
I just looked again...
2X 55 watt T-5 compacts (1watt-liter 4 watt-gallon)
10000K actinic
blue led moonlights
and guess what? a fan-cooled hood

christina f

IMO RESEARCH = SUCCESS
MISTAKES = MORE MONEY OR WORSE YET.....DEATH OF LIVESTOCK.
Learing from mistakes = GROWTH
I know, I learned something from this thread.....
Thanks to All
C

ntracy

I own the Red Sea Max and I was considering the jbj as well. What compelled me to spend more money was the size... an extra 7 gallons really helps the size and look. Not to mention that everything is included. The JBJ has the HQI (high output bulb) which is a requirement only if you want to grow really hard corals, but (this is a guess) 5% of everything you would want to put in a tank would need an HQI. The T5 bulbs will work fine for the other 95%, which is why they went with those bulbs. The HQI also gets really hot, and unless you have a chiller, you may need to minimize the amount of time you have that thing turned on.
also the Red Sea Max DOES have built-in fans for the lighting, and my setup even came with an extra exhaust fan that I had the option of installing if I saw fit.
The JBJ does not come stock with a protein skimmer, and to get a little crappy nano-skimmer (which is recommended by JBJ for this tank) is $50 and doesn't really do much anyway. The skimmer in the Red Sea Max is rated at 320 gallons per hour, which is great for a 34 gallon tank (we're talking almost 10x per hour filtration here) and it's all included in the price.
Bottom line, I chose the Red Sea Max because:
1. I don't need HQI lighting any more than I need a ferrari. It's only necessary if you want to get really

[hr]
about hard coral reefs. The T5's will do the job just fine
2. It had a REALLY good protein skimmer, the JBJ doesn't come with one, but offers a built-in skimmer for $50 more, and is really low-quality. (you can buy a $160 one which will also work, but at that point, get the red sea!)
3. Everything was very eloquently designed. I had switches all next to each other on the side, which allows me to turn every component on and off independently of eachother. The JBJ has two switches on the top, and if you wanted to get the skimmer, you'd have even more cords coming out the back. The Red Sea Max has one cord.
The skimmer is really what did it for me. get the 28gal JBJ with a $160 skimmer as an add-on, or get the Red Sea Max 34 with everything built-in and hidden. No brainer.