red sea prizm deluxe ?

acrylic51

Is it collecting nice brown gunk in the skimmer cup? Is it just collecting clear water? Is it blowing alot of bubbles back into the main tank?

socko6774

yeh, im just not sure what the right " foam to water ration" is supposed to be? am i supposed to have a constant froth of foam going into the collection cup, or just the spurts of foam slowly comin out ?

windmill

You want an occasional "froth" bubble to elevate into the collection cup. A constant froth into the cup means too much bubbles, and froth below the cup line means not enough bubbles. You gotta play with the flow to find the happy medium.

acrylic51

Yes just as Windmill described.....if you get it set to high you'll see alot of microbubbles going back into the tank, and the collection cup will overflow rather quickly that way.....These things can be a real PITA to get adjusted and do need more attention than other skimmers IMO.

socko6774

Originally Posted by acrylic51
Yes just as Windmill described.....if you get it set to high you'll see alot of microbubbles going back into the tank, and the collection cup will overflow rather quickly that way.....These things can be a real PITA to get adjusted and do need more attention than other skimmers IMO.

so my foam level should be just below the exit hole that dumps into the collction cup? its at about the level where the exit starts to cone in... if that makes any sense, lol.. i iwish i had my dam camera id just take a pic@!!

socko6774

Originally Posted by alyssia
Those skimmers are a pain. I had one and never could get it adjusted right.
dont get me wrong, i see im getting some brown crap, but i just wanna make sure im setting it right and getting the most out of it!! ... this fish tank is worst than a full time job!!!!

windmill

I have the bottom of the line skimmer, the one without the overflow thingy. They seem very simple and I like the way it sets up and runs. The only time I have to adjust mine is when I dump my cup. I just turn the flow pretty much off, dump the cup & replace, then turn back up to where flow knob used to be. I keep an eye on the foam to make sure it foams to where it needs to be just in case.
You got the idea. You want the foam to occasionally rise to where the cup starts to "cone in". You don't want the foam to constantly be at the "cone in" or above. The idea is to have the flow just so.....so that your foam is at a level just above where cup connects to the main skimmer body. I've noticed this level seems to be optimal for skimming. Just check your cup frequently, if it slowly fills with thick brown stuff, it's working as it should. If it fills with clear or translucent stuff, turn the flow down.

acrylic51

Originally Posted by windmill
I have the bottom of the line skimmer, the one without the overflow thingy. They seem very simple and I like the way it sets up and runs. The only time I have to adjust mine is when I dump my cup. I just turn the flow pretty much off, dump the cup & replace, then turn back up to where flow knob used to be. I keep an eye on the foam to make sure it foams to where it needs to be just in case.
You got the idea. You want the foam to occasionally rise to where the cup starts to "cone in". You don't want the foam to constantly be at the "cone in" or above. The idea is to have the flow just so.....so that your foam is at a level just above where cup connects to the main skimmer body. I've noticed this level seems to be optimal for skimming. Just check your cup frequently, if it slowly fills with thick brown stuff, it's working as it should. If it fills with clear or translucent stuff, turn the flow down.