Red Sea protien skimmer?

popoty

Hello,
I just set up my Red Sea Prism Deluxe (hang on) skimmer. It produces so many bubbles that the tank becomes cloudy from them. If I lower the air flow the bubbles lessen but the water flow back into the tank becomes a dribble. There seems to be no in between.
**Am I using the skimmer correctly?
**When the air flow is lowered will the waste make its way to the collection cup?
My tank is still cycling so I cant tell if it is working properly. No bio load to remove.
**Skimmer on or off during cycling?
You guys/gals are great.
Thanks
55gal FO
Cycling w/2 Dammsels

bahamianme

Why did you put on your skimmer? Do you have any fish in the tank at all as it is still cyling? I was told that once my tank cycle...and I put fish in...than you put on your skimmer....You have to have stock in the tank in order to produce waste in order for the skimmer to work.....:confused:

reefnut

Most will say leave the skimmer off during cycling.
The prism will take a bit to get broke in. After the break in period you should be able to set it so you get min bubbles in the tank.
The one I had said to keep the water flow at about where the rubber gasket is going to the collection cup. Using that setting I had good luck with mine...

bahamianme

I've just notice that you are cycling with 2 damsels.......You could have waited a few more weeks after the tank cycled and if you added more fish......:rolleyes:

reefnut

To skim or not to skim during cycling is a good debated issue. I have read that skimming during cycling will reduce the amount of ammonia and in turn could keep more LR & LS critters alive. On the other hand, it takes longer to complete the cycle.
It's a preference thing...

plhsurfer

I have the same skimmer.. I have placed a piece of sponge down in the skimmer just prior to the discharge plate. This is where the carbon insert would be placed. This has made the bubble issue a thing of the past. Hope this helps!

popoty

plhsurfer,
I will definately try the sponge idea! the media basket is empty now.
Also, how far open can you turn the air flow w/ the sponge method?
thanx

popoty

Are the bubbles returning to the tank from the skimmer benificial in any way? oxygenation? or are they just an annoying byproduct from the skimmer?

plhsurfer

Originally posted by popoty
plhsurfer,
I will definately try the sponge idea! the media basket is empty now.
Also, how far open can you turn the air flow w/ the sponge method?
thanx

My valve on the intake tube is open about a 1/4 turn from closed. I just mess with mine until the bubble collum ends at the o-ring.

hattrick58

After some time the flow will be easier to adjust. I never mess with the adjustment on mine anymore. When it was new it seemed particularly difficult to adjust after a water change.