Red Slime Again/help

randolph

I'VE BEEN SLIMED AGAIN! i have a new case of red slime, the last time (6 months or so ago) i treated with anti-biotic. this worked quite well but i can't remember whether all my stuff was i there or not, scary. i don't think it hurt any crabs and i am thinking i had some corals in there. i always get "yes it will" and "no it won't" from this board, but thankful for all sides. i don't want to kill anything please help with this you can see below what is in my so called reef tank, thanks:confused: :)

jumpfrog

If everything has been fine and the cyano started to appear I would take a close look at your lighting. If your water flow hasn't changed (ie, ph gone bad or moved) then that would be my first check. How long since you changed your bulbs?
Like you I had good success with a chemical product, Kick-Ich I think. All animals survived and cyano disappeared in no time. Since then my cyano usually came based on lighting issues.
Good luck. That stuff is no ugly:mad:

overanalyzer

Hey Jumpfrog - what about his ligting?? too much or two little?
I have one rock that gets a continual patch of red slime - I suck it up when I do my water changes it is not spreading everywhere.
I am slowly doing bigger and bigger water changes. 20% last week and another 20% scheduled for Sunday (that's one gallon). Plus this weekend is scheduled filter replacement time ....
Personally I think it is because I have no flow in the one little spot and it build detrius - Randolph - is yours in one area or did it just bloom??

paul plumer

Go to your lfs and buy the little vile of red slime remover it cost about 15.00 i have corals , fish mushrooms , etc. had it once used the red slime remover and never got it again that was 4 months ago only used 1-dose if you have reacurring slim it says to use it twice in a week or so , i dont remember the details but it didnt bother anything els in the tank.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I've used Boyd's ChemiClean wo any problem. You must follow directions exactly, however, and do not overdose. Dose according to water volume, not tank size.
There's been a lot of discussion here about this; if you haven't already, do a serach. That should yeild all the info you need about battling this.

jumpfrog

Overanalyzer; from what I understand it's not about how much/little light as much as it is a shift in lighting spectrum. As the lights age the intensity at various wave lengths change. When it gets to a certain point, cyano bacteria seem to thrive. That's why it's always a good thing to check if lighting is getting old it may be the culprit. Your "spot" sounds like flow. I have a spot or two on my back glass that I'm trying to work out with increased flow. Slowly making progress.

zibnata

Paul Plumer is right. They sell it on this site too. Ultralife Red Slime Remover .Stuff works great.

nm reef

There are several "chemical" cures for cyano....and lots of good/bad experiences using them. Myself I'd be cautious about using a chemical cure. Instead I'd look at the source of the problem and attempt to eliminate it. Cyano usually happens when lighting is out of spectrum(when were your lights last changed)...low circulation can contribute to cyano problems(how much turn over do you have)...excess nutrients can contribute(what are current test results for nitrate/phosphates/silicates)...lack of sufficient clean-up critters can contribute(maybe increase the numbers)...what is your source of top-off water?I don't know what if any effect the UV light can have...maybe somebody can respond...but I'd be cautious about using UV on a reef.
A large number of sources can contribute...I'd seriously suggest you determine the cause and reduce its effect. Even if you do use a chemical cure for short term relief...I'd still investigate the cause.:cool:
In the past 30 or so months I've only had to deal with a minor outbreak of cyano....and a combination of manual removal/change in water source/increase in circulation/additional clean-up critters worked to prevent another outbreak(so far!!!!).

wamp

As NM stated, the natrul way is always the best. Water changes, increased flow, better water supply and manual removal are the best.
Although you may not see any adverse reactions in your tank. They are there. Anything you add to your tank will affect it.
How I got rid of Cyno. Changed RO/DI cartridges, Did more frequent water changes, Increased flow to infected areas and removed alot with a syphon. It sucked! I hated it but did not want to add chemicals to my 180.
P.S. the lights have little to do with Cyno. Not as much as one would think at least, they bacteria actually grows better in low areas of light not direct light. Having said that you should still keep your lights up to date.