red slime algae consumers

marineman

:notsure: Has anybody experienced a reef safe fish, crab, snail, etc that did a good job consuming red slime algae, Anybody? I have read the thread by justinx, but want to hear suggestions on clean up critters as well! Thanks

csrobe02

I have to say my queen conch did an AMAZING job at completely clearing my red slime problem 100%. I tried everything and nothing seemed to work, saw a rumor that queen conchs eat red slime and went out and spent the $4 to get one. That conch is the best thing that has happened to my tank since the water!
Now I cant guarentee that every conch will be like this, but from my personal experiance, I would definately suggest getting a queen conch to suck it all up for you.

clown-lover

i had a q conch, took it a week to move half an inch, with that kind of movement and the fast growing red slime i had, he wasn't much help:rolleyes:
once i got more movement, and changed my lights, and switched my water from tap, i have been winning my battle
good luck

beaslbob

Marineman
if you look and the red cyanide control link about half way down there is a great idea. Simply turn off the lights for three days. With plenty of other plant life in the system that kills off the cyano and allows the other plant life to catch up. If yo don't have the other plant life then the effort would be temporary. So let's not make this too hard--just turn off the lights.

marineman

BEASLBOB, I have had lots of macro in my sump all along and not sure I want to kill the lights 3 days straight on all my corals and anemones. Water quality is good and water movement is 20x per hour. Seems lights off may or may not stop growth long term. Just wanted some polite clean up critter suggestions, thanks.

elpezgrande

There are several chemical solutions that claim to kill the red slime without bother fish and inverts. I used Chemi-Clean and it killed the algae in 2 days with no apparent harm to anything else, and I have fish, shrimp, snails, crabs, soft corals, and an anemone. IMO you should try the traditional methods first, but if they fail, Chemi-Clean worked for me and my LFS recommended it because they had successfully used it many times themselves.

dburr

The German reefers use vodka, but Randy Holmes-Farly recommends a teaspoon full of sugar. Pull out all you can first.
But why are you getting this problem? You should start their.