Red Slime Algae? Cyano? Help!

howardj

I'm not too sure what this is.. But I don't like the looks of it.
12 gallon
I took a water sample to my LFS last week and the said everything was alright. Only thing they said was that calcium was 450 (I thought that was a good area; they said it shouldn't be over)
anyway, I thought it was gone for awhile, but it's working its self back. It is also worked its was behind the xenia rock kind of.
Anyone know anything about this?
It's not over taking any coral, and it doesn't seem like it's hurting anything else.
Would simple water changes take care of it?
Not sure what to do.

crt81

Originally Posted by b bauer
what kind of lights and how old are the lamps
Old bulbs make a difference when it comes to an algea bloom?

mcbdz

What additives, food are you putting in your tank? Usually cyno is high nitrates or phosphates, not enough flow. Do you have any sunlight hitting your tank during the day?

florida joe

If your not adverse to using chemicals there is a product called red lime remover by Ultalife which works really well IMO just keep an eye on your shimmer for excess skimming and your ph

m0nk

Personally, I don't like the idea of using chemicals in my tank. Easiest way to get rid of cyano is to use a turkey baster or siphon it out when you're change the water in your tank. Once it's mostly gone, cut your lighting schedule back a bit, down to even 6 hours will help, and cut your feeding schedule back a little. If you feed twice a day, change to once every day. If you feed every day, switch to every other day. After a week or so of this you should have kicked the rest of it and can slowly return to close to your previous schedule. You do need to find the source, whether it's sunlight hitting your tank, or excess lighting or feeding overall, or your flow just isn't getting to that spot, etc. Hope that helps.

m0nk

Oh, and the water from Culligan isn't the best. You might want to find a new RO water source, or buy an RO/DI unit.

howardj

Originally Posted by mcbdz
What additives, food are you putting in your tank? Usually cyno is high nitrates or phosphates, not enough flow. Do you have any sunlight hitting your tank during the day?

No additives
Mysis and Omega 1 flake, switched,every other day.
sunlight = no

howardj

Originally Posted by m0nk
Oh, and the water from Culligan isn't the best. You might want to find a new RO water source, or buy an RO/DI unit.
the culligan machine says that is reverse osmosis

m0nk

Originally Posted by HowardJ
the culligan machine says that is reverse osmosis

Well, it may be but there was a recent thread that someone posted the test results of TDS (total dissolved solids) in Culligan water and it was really high. Good RO water would/should have low TDS and RO/DI water is even better. You can buy RO or RO/DI units (DI stands for de-ionization) so if you are able to afford it, I'd recommend getting one; it will likely help clear your issue up. Good RO units get water between 95% and 97% pure, and RO/DI units get water 97% - 99% pure. That extra little bit counts in our little ecosystems.

teresaq

is this a nano cube. they only have one outlet in the back right, it could be your not getting much flow in the front of the tank. try a small powerhead on the side for more flow, or redirect so you get more flow to the front.

a&a2

I use RO/DI water and also had new power PC bulbs. I had a real problem w/red slime. I used a product made by ultra life called red slime remover. I am not fond of chemicals at all, but this product brought the problem under control. When I did the water change, I also turned my rocks that had red slime on them over so they were not facing the light

howardj

yes, JBJ nano cube
I CANNOT
figure out how to direct the powerhead :(
It seems every time I turn it, it blows the sand all around in the front and covers up corals in the sand bed..
do you/anyone know where I can point the flow nozzle?