red slime algae

2batrigger

Originally Posted by fishkid2
so i really dont know how to get rid of the red slime algae. What are the best ways to get rid of it. i know i prabably need to upgrade my flow in the tank. But what else can i do? Start doing some water changes? ooo and i dont use ro water.
u can see smoe of it in this pic and theres a lot of it.
http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=IMG_0098.jpg
I have used the product redslime remover and it works great. It can effect ph though. Yes ro water is best. It is the phosphate level of your tap water mostly causing the problem. There are also phosphate removers on the market. From liquids to filter mediums that work with varing success

fishkid2

Everything looks good, but ph is 8.0 i dont have a phosphate test kit.
ok i dont know how much pounds of lr i have because i got a dry piece of lr from a beach, but its like 20 pounds. and maybe about 5 pounds of other lr. 30 pounds of sand.
Then my lighting is just 1 bulb with a power glow lamp.
i have that 1 ph in the pic and 205 fluval filter. I did have chemipure, but i dont think it is doing anything. I have a visi-jet protein skimmer that seems not to be effective.
WHat else do u need to know?

fishkid2

well i change 6 gallons of water. Cleaned out the filter and protein skimmer. sucked up all the red slime off the rock and wall. Protein skimmer is worker better, but not great.

earlybird

Originally Posted by fishkid2
Everything looks good, but ph is 8.0 i dont have a phosphate test kit.
ok i dont know how much pounds of lr i have because i got a dry piece of lr from a beach, but its like 20 pounds. and maybe about 5 pounds of other lr. 30 pounds of sand.
Then my lighting is just 1 bulb with a power glow lamp.
i have that 1 ph in the pic and 205 fluval filter. I did have chemipure, but i dont think it is doing anything. I have a visi-jet protein skimmer that seems not to be effective.
WHat else do u need to know?
Get a phosphate kit or get it tested at lfs. Very dangerous putting that rock in from the beach. Ya never know what pollutants might be in it. It's possible that your light could be causing or aiding in the spread of the cyanobacteria. Try reducing the amount of time you have your light on. You should get another powerhead or two. Really increasing your flow will do wonders. Continue with the small water changes and manually siphoning it out of your tank. It's going to take some time, perhaps weeks, but you can get it under control. From the looks of your pictures it looks like you may also have some calcium carbonate precipitation on your powerhead. Check your alk, cal, and mag to make sure they are in the right range. Lastly, chemipure is some good stuff and really helps improve the water clarity. If it isn't doing anything, chuck it or replace it.

fishkid2

Originally Posted by earlybird
Get a phosphate kit or get it tested at lfs. Very dangerous putting that rock in from the beach. Ya never know what pollutants might be in it. It's possible that your light could be causing or aiding in the spread of the cyanobacteria. Try reducing the amount of time you have your light on. You should get another powerhead or two. Really increasing your flow will do wonders. Continue with the small water changes and manually siphoning it out of your tank. It's going to take some time, perhaps weeks, but you can get it under control. From the looks of your pictures it looks like you may also have some calcium carbonate precipitation on your powerhead. Check your alk, cal, and mag to make sure they are in the right range. Lastly, chemipure is some good stuff and really helps improve the water clarity. If it isn't doing anything, chuck it or replace it.
Thanks. On the ph that was just some sand on top of it. I also put some lr in my fluval when i was cleaning it. I also had some old charcoal in there too. maybe that was the problem.

deltablack22

Originally Posted by earlybird
It's possible that your light could be causing or aiding in the spread of the cyanobacteria. Try reducing the amount of time you have your light on.
Cyanobacteria is photosynthetic... But dont reduce your lighting. It thrives in low light conditions. Poor lighting can contribute to cyano.

miaheatlvr

Originally Posted by DeltaBlack22
Cyanobacteria is photosynthetic... But dont reduce your lighting. It thrives in low light conditions. Poor lighting can contribute to cyano.
This is incorrect!
Lighting: The use of improper bulbs, lack of maintenance, and extended lighting hours are contributors that can lead to all sorts of algae problems. While these organisms do well in the 665 to 680 nanometer (nm) wavelength range, they are quite active bewteen the 560 and 620 nm range as well.
Solutions: Only use bulbs that are designed for aquarium use, run the lights 8 to 9 hours a day, and following the basic wattage rule of thumb, try different types of bulbs to increase the intensity and the spectral qualities of the light in the aquarium, particularly when it comes to any type of full-spectrum or color enhancing tubes being used.

snaredrum

Originally Posted by MiaHeatLvr
This is incorrect!
Lighting: The use of improper bulbs, lack of maintenance, and extended lighting hours are contributors that can lead to all sorts of algae problems. While these organisms do well in the 665 to 680 nanometer (nm) wavelength range, they are quite active bewteen the 560 and 620 nm range as well.
Solutions: Only use bulbs that are designed for aquarium use, run the lights 8 to 9 hours a day, and following the basic wattage rule of thumb, try different types of bulbs to increase the intensity and the spectral qualities of the light in the aquarium, particularly when it comes to any type of full-spectrum or color enhancing tubes being used.
What he said..LOL My cyano was caused from overfeeding and low flow. I sucked out as much cyano as I could with a turkey baster, reduced lighting and cut back on the feeding. All seemed to help. Word of advise, try the natural methods first before adding any antibotic. I had to use AntiRed and the red slime was gone overnight but I had to do a lot of water changes and my zoo's and xenia's took about 2 weeks to open back up.