Red Slime Alge

tdboss

ok I have tried almost everything...Raising the PH lowering the PH dumping in chems, less feeding more water changes nothing seems to kill the red slime alge growing in my tank....It's been running for almost 2 years and still...Red slime algee any thought would be great.
Thanks

sharkbait09

hello,
i totally know what you mean!!!!!!!

I had the same problem about one month ago what chemicals did u use? If u havent used chemiclean red slime remover thats what helped me its kind of spendy though.
Thanx!!!!

chemiclean works best..follow directions..do a water change after dose...it will also start to kill off you coraline algae if u dont get it out after treatment.

mr. limpid

You say its been two years have you changed your bulbs during that time. Old bubls can cause red slime. Other than that less time of running your lights, if this a fish only tank you could leave your lights of for a week only turn on during feeding will reduse the red slime. Also during water changes use a turkey baster to jet blast the red slime off of your rocks then do a water change. i hope this helps.

I believe I read that having one helps to remove "things" in the water that red slime, green hair algae and other nuisance growths taht over run our tanks. I have some growing in my tank. Looking for a skimmer. Correct me if i'm wrong people but will this help?
Mark

small triggers

not neccessarily. i run a skimmer but i feed ALOT therefore having excess nitrates. that is what causes most algae. ALSO can be part of the cause for cyano bacteria (commonly reffered to as red slime algae, but it is not algae) If you have good flow, do not over feed and have good cleaning practices (and 2 out of 3 DOES NOT count) then you will normally not have a problem. Having a skimmer HELPS but is not the end all be all.

sanchoy

RED Slime remover..
worked wonders for me.. it is supposed to be reef coral safe as well. I dosed it with 2 treatments and no more cyno. This stuff works instantly, from first hand account.

rpryor

I also am haveing a red slime problem. I have noticed that it seems to engulf my corals. Can red slime algee kill your corals? I clean it off when i notice it. I have reduced my lights and reduced feeding. Hopefully this will work.

flower

Originally Posted by SHORTBUSLDTANG
http:///forum/post/3074013
I believe I read that having one helps to remove "things" in the water that red slime, green hair algae and other nuisance growths taht over run our tanks. I have some growing in my tank. Looking for a skimmer. Correct me if i'm wrong people but will this help?
Mark
Skimmer will help...
Keep a check on phosphates, that, and overfeeding and low flow are the most commmon causes.

salt210

Originally Posted by rpryor
http:///forum/post/3121279
I also am haveing a red slime problem. I have noticed that it seems to engulf my corals. Can red slime algee kill your corals? I clean it off when i notice it. I have reduced my lights and reduced feeding. Hopefully this will work.
it can if it is left alone. it could starve them of light and nutrients

spanko

Red Slime (Cyano Bacteria)
Cyano grows on top of nutrient rich areas of low flow. There are a number of things that need to be correct or possibly corrected to combat this without the use of chemical additives. The biggest thing is to get rid of the extra nutrients.
1.Evaluate your feeding. If you are feeding more than can be eaten in about 1-2 minutes it is too much and the remainder of it is falling to the rock and sand and becoming nutrient.
2.Evaluate your flow. If you have areas in the tank where there is little to no flow this can be corrected by adding power heads or repositioning the ones you already have. You don’t need to create sand storms just have water moving over the area to keep detritus suspended in the water column for removal by your filter – skimmer.
3.Evaluate your water changes. The solution to pollution is dilution! You want to continually remove unneeded nutrients as well as replace those things that are used by the system. 10% weekly is a good change schedule. Some do 20% every other week and some vary the schedule from there, but a good start is 10% per week.
4.Evaluate your lighting schedule. About 10 hours of daylight is all that is needed.
5.If you have a Cyano outbreak do the above 4 items and:
a.At water change time siphon off the Cyano first. It will come up easily almost like a blanket.
b.After siphoning stir the affected areas a little to suspend any detritus for the water change and filtering - skimming removal.
c.Use a turkey baster on the rockwork now and at every water change in the future to again suspend the detritus for removal by the water change and your filtering – skimming.
Keeping nutrient levels low to non-existent will help to avoid Cyano outbreaks and any algae outbreaks as well as keep your tank and you happy happy.
Hope that helps.