red slime algea

ocellaris_keeper

Red slime algae is a sign of protien buildup. You can get rid of it a couple of ways - a good tang and some scraping will do. also get some snails and crabs and maybe a pigmy angel.

twoods71

Red slime / cyanobacteria can be killed quickly with an antibiotic.
I have never used this method but many respectable people on this board have and claim to be successful.

jakepilot

so if there is a protein buildup does that mean that my wetdry isnt breaking down stuff properly or does that mean that the ls isnt working?? what breaks down protien??

twoods71

Some of the best ways to reduce nutrients in the tank is through the use of a good protien skimmer, not over feeding the fish, and by only using high quality filtered water (RO water for example) for top off and water changes.
Red slime can be siphoned out fairly easily through the use of an aquarium vacuum. At the same time do a water change and this will help reduce the level of protiens in your tank.

jim672

I had a red algea problem which occured as I was trying to rapidly increase my calcium level. An experienced reefer friend of mine suggested the red algea was a result of too much clacium too fast. I backed off on the calcium, scrapped the red algea off the glass, did a water change....no more red algea. I suppose it could be a coincidence.
Jim

jakob4001

protein skimmers are nto miracle workers; good water care is necessary by some of the suggestions that were made

bammbamm74

Originally posted by twoods71:
<strong>Red slime / cyanobacteria can be killed quickly with an antibiotic.
I have never used this method but many respectable people on this board have and claim to be successful.</strong><hr></blockquote>
Ok, UltraReef makes something called Red Slime Remover. Works wonderful. In 2 days, all mine was gone. But Red Slime eats phosphates and nitrates right? That's what I've been told.

Tropical Sciences makes phosphate pads specifially designed for removing hair algae and cyano. I bought a pack that contained 2 pads, and a powder substance and it worked fine. Also, do you have a canister filter? I had a Fluval 404 hooked up until last night & I finally took it off. Lots of poeple say they are nitrate factories, & at first I didn't believe it, but now I do. Ever since I've had it unplugged, which has been for a week before I took it off, the red slime went away.

twoods71

There is another post asking the same question about the skimmer. Check it out and get some ideas.
As for myself, I use the seaclone and am happy with it.

twoods71

Some one mentioned above that a skimmer is not a miracle worker and I agree.
Will it eliminate the red slime?
Lets just say that a skimmer will help reduce the nutrients red slime needs to grow.