RED SLIME ALGEA

reefj13

Red slime algae is a cyanobacteria that froms in tanks that have accessive nutrients. It is common to have small patches of red slime in your tank, but when it takes off their is a problem.
What are the measurements in your tank?
Size of the tank?
Last water change?
Number of fish?
Do you have any old carbon that might be leaching organic compounds back into the water?
Finally, you can buy antibiotic in order to kill the slime algae, but this treatment should only be done when the problem becomes very bad! You need to find the root of the problem.

stalyun95

THANKS I HAVE A 100G TANK WITH A TIDEPOOL II
SUMP THAT HOUSES A BERLIN TURBO SKIMMER AND MAG 9 RETURN PUMP 200LBS OF LIVE ROCK AND DID A 5 GAL WATER CHANGE EVEYWEEK FOR THREE WEEKS WITH RO WATER........

stalyun95

YES FEW BUBBLES BUT ONLY ON THE PATCHES THAT HAVE FORMED ON LIVE ROCK NOT ON THE FLOOR ...........HAVE 4 BULBS 2 20000K AND 2 420 ACTINIC REGULAR FLOURECENTS HAVE FOUR POWER HEADS AND A MAG 9 RETURN PUMP STERRING UP THE WATER PLEASE HELP

mad_dog

I'm also experiencing a problem with red alage: 55 gal tank - tide pool II top skimming with a protein skimmer in the sump. System been running 2 years now with a fairly heavy fish load and inadequate lighting (home made 4 tube 30 watts ea. @ 50/50 and actinic blue equal proportions. I noticed the problem got worse than isolated patches when I replace two bulbs @ one time - the increase in lumens may have spured the problem on. I run Black Diamond carbon in the sump filter tray all the time fpr water clarity, How often should I change this medium out ???
My water parameters are fairly good: PH 8.3 SG.023 ALk 2.2 Calcium 450 mg/l Phospates <0.3 Ammonia & Nitrite 0 "But" Nitrates are 20ppm and have always been this no matter how frequent the water changes @ 10% 1/wk - I attribute this to a crushed coral substrate ( very largre aggregate ) and the lack of a clean-up crew.
More disconcerting that the red alage is the aftermath - It seems to fade away shortly after the photosynthesis occurs but leaves a dull gray almost slick looking barren patchs on the LR. How do I get rid of this dispickable eye-sore ???