red slime and ick

aztec reef

red slime: is a type of algea but is not a "true" algea, it consist of bacteria and algea , red slime is a.k.a. cynobacteria.
ick:is a fish desease its mainly cause is stress. the apperance of a infected fish are. well they look like they just got sprinkled with salt.(tiny white specs all over body)
YOU DON'T WANT NEITHER...

1journeyman

Originally Posted by jayeden
how do i get rid of ick?????
By not introducing it into your tank... that's the best way. Ich is a parasite with a known life cycle. By putting all new arrivals in quarrantine for 4 weeks you virtually eliminate the chance of ich entering your system (as well as other diseases and parasites).
If your display tank does get ich you will need to remove ALL fish from the tank and allow it to sit fallow for 4-6 weeks.
Treat fish with hyposalinity (do a search on the board for proper procedure)

1journeyman

so if 1 of my fish has what looks like salt on it thats ick for sure?
Well, not for sure, but a good chance. Look at the photos on this thread. Get a photo of your fish, and follow the appropriate directions found in the disease forum.

jayeden

if i have a trigger in which i think has ick, should I take it back to the LFS or is it too alte and all my fish are already infected?
it looks like it has very small white particles stuck to it, but it varries day by day on how many i see, today they are very scarce....could it just be micro bubbles stuck to it?

1journeyman

hmmm, easy way to tell if it is ick?
Well, do your other fish have micro bubbles stuck to them?
Can you post a pick on here?

jayeden

unfortunatly not today...i will tomorow and see if i can get a concensus..
ignnore that....might have one here.....
this is the fish i suspect has it....hard to tell by this pic...

1journeyman

Sorry, I can't tell. Try getting a close up when it is feeding.
Now, as for micro bubbles, those can be deadly. Make sure you don't have those blowing around in your tank.

1journeyman

how do i cut down on them?, i have a few little ones...on and off....
Where are they coming from?

1journeyman

i think one every few hours a few of them r shooting out of one of my cansister filters..
That doesn't seem like enough to worry about. Of course, that also doesn't seem like enough to coat your fish in bubbles either...

1journeyman

hmmmmmmmm.....i will have to take some better pics and post for suggestions...thanks for now..
Once you get some better photos, post in the dieases forum and we'll have Beth take a look.