Red Slime...... Just 1 more question......

fish4rudy

I have red slime in my tank. If I understand all of the recent threads if I leave my lights off for 5-7 days it will go away on its own? Just need a little help.....

fish4rudy

I did notice several "dead-spots" where the algae was bad and adjusted flow for this. I also have it on the rocks which were in a higher flow area so what gives? I was trying to stay away from the chemicals and thats why I was asking zbout just leaving the lights off. I that wont work then I will just use the slime remover. Just need advice.

bizzleb01

Turning the lights off won't fix the prob. I just used the red slime remover on sat and it cleared my tank up.
Like you, I didn't want to use chemicals but I was fighting a losing battle and tried everything. The chemicals are just a "band-aid" fix. If you don't find out what is really causing it; it's just going to come back.

fish4rudy

So the lights out method wont work? I read on several other threads that it did....................aNYONE???????

While using a red slime chemical remover will work, u should redirect water flow and or add power heads to reduce stagnate water. But a UV sterilizer will end all your algae growth problems assuming you keep you water balanced.

novahobbies

Sure it might. It will also zap all the beneficial planktonic micro-flora and -fauna in your system, reducing your copepod and amphipod population, which might in turn affect your water chemistry.

paintballer768

Originally Posted by FalsePercula26
http:///forum/post/2835122
While using a red slime chemical remover will work, u should redirect water flow and or add power heads to reduce stagnate water. But a UV sterilizer will end all your algae growth problems assuming you keep you water balanced.
Might be true, but red slime is not an algae, it is a bacteria. Its excess nutrients, in the form of nitrates or possibly something else like over feeding. Could be phosphates fueling it, could be too long of a photoperiod, or it could be low flow (as said above). Flow is not your issue, it would be feedings and nitrates, possibly phosphates or photoperiod, though IME nitrates and food cause much more common and important roles in the appearance of red/green slime.

jacksny22

[hr]
I've had my tank for 4 years. I recently changed my lighting system and since then I've had so much red algae, it covers everything. I tried the slime remover and it worked temporarily but it came back. Its disgusting.
I have good water flow, 3 powerheads in the tank. I've done water changes and cleaned it but it comes back, kind of like an epidemic. Any ideas?
Could it be that I'm using tap water?