Red Slime?

hhands361

I saw all this red (i thought was algae) growing for the last week ever since the introduction of my new lights. I just yesterday realized thats its not algae, but instead its RED SLIME. How do I get rid of this as its getting worse?

bheron

I'm not sure but light exposure could be one of the problems. Are they more powerful or in some way exposing the tank to more or less light? How long was your tank fine before that?
Most likely you have to regulate the amount of light (more or less) based on what you've just added.
Sounds like you already know that.

hhands361

The biggest amount of the slime is in the very back of the tank, against the glass, near the bottom, under the shadow of the filter, so Im assuming that maybe there needs to be more light there.

ohscc

Siphoning it off will not stop it from coming back, it will just slow it down. Decreasing your light will stop most of the growth.(when i say decrease i mean it). What do you have in your tank by the way? Phosphates cause this slime and I used a product called Phosphate and Silicate Remover by Some guys name ( i forgot but it is in a white container with a green label) i have it, it is just barried ( which means i don't have red slime anymore). I believe it is reef safe too. I test my phosphates now with salifert and i get near zero ( didn't test them when I had the slime). Don't ask me how this stuff starts but it is heck until you get rid of it. Good luck.